In this Article
- What other names is Xylitol known by?
- What is Xylitol?
- How does Xylitol work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Xylitol.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of xylitol during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- For reducing the risk of ear infections in preschoolers: total daily doses of 8.4 to 10 grams of xylitol in chewing gum, lozenges, or syrup given in five divided doses after meals.
- For prevention of cavities in adults and children, a wide range of doses has been used. Typically, doses are from 7 to 20 grams per day divided into three to five doses, usually given as candies or chewing gum that contact the gums.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.