- What other names is Xylitol known by?
- What is Xylitol?
- How does Xylitol work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Xylitol.
Likely Effective for...
- Preventing dental caries (tooth decay).
Possibly Effective for...
- Reducing episodes of ear infections (otitis media) in preschool children.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Prevention of dry mouth or as a sugar substitute for people with diabetes.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Xylitol work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.