- What other names is Xylitol known by?
- What is Xylitol?
- How does Xylitol work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Xylitol.
Likely Effective for...
- Preventing dental caries (tooth decay).
Possibly Effective for...
- Reducing episodes of ear infections (otitis media) in preschool children.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Prevention of dry mouth or as a sugar substitute for people with diabetes.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Xylitol work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.