"Nov. 9, 2012 -- If you're allergic to pollen, brace yourself.
"By the year 2040, we will get about 1.5 to two times the amount of pollen that we have now," says Leonard Bielory, MD. Bielory is professor of environmental prediction at "...
Xyzal Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Xyzal
Generic Name: levocetirizine (Pronunciation: LEE voe se TIR a zeen)
- What is levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
- What are the possible side effects of levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
- What is the most important information I should know about levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
- How should I take levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Xyzal)?
- What happens if I overdose (Xyzal)?
- What should I avoid while taking levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
- What other drugs will affect levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
Levocetirizine is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose.
Levocetirizine is used to treat symptoms of year-round (perennial) allergies in adults and children who are at least 6 months old. It is also used to treat symptoms of seasonal allergies in adults and children who are at least 2 years old.
Levocetirizine is also used to treat itching and swelling caused by chronic urticaria (hives) in adults and children who are at least 6 months old.
Levocetirizine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using levocetirizine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- nosebleed (especially in a child);
- pain or fullness in your ear, hearing problems;
- depression, agitation, aggression, hallucinations;
- numbness or tingling around your lips or mouth;
- jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes);
- dark-colored urine, foul-smelling stools; or
- fever, stomach pain, loss of appetite.
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness, weakness;
- tired feeling;
- stuffy nose, sinus pain, sore throat, cough;
- vomiting, diarrhea, constipation;
- dry mouth; or
- weight gain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Xyzal (levocetirizine dihydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about levocetirizine (Xyzal)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to levocetirizine or cetirizine (Zyrtec).
Do not take levocetirizine if you have end-stage kidney disease or if you are on dialysis. Any child younger than 12 years old with kidney disease should not take levocetirizine.
Before taking levocetirizine, tell your doctor if you have liver disease, kidney disease, or gallbladder problems.
It is very important not to give a child more than the prescribed dose of this medication. A child's body absorbs twice as much of the same dose size of levocetirizine as an adult's body.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of levocetirizine.
Tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as other cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by levocetirizine.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, if they get worse, or if you also have a fever.
Additional Xyzal Information
- Xyzal Drug Interactions Center: levocetirizine oral
- Xyzal Side Effects Center
- Xyzal Overview including Precautions
- Xyzal FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Xyzal - User Reviews
Xyzal User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.