Yeast Infection (in Women and Men)
Table of Contents
- Vaginal yeast infection facts
- What is a vaginal yeast infection?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection?
- What causes a vaginal yeast infection?
- What may increase my risk of getting a vaginal yeast infection?
- Which specialties of doctors treat yeast infections?
- How is a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed?
- Are there home remedies to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- What over-the-counter (OTC) medications are available to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- When are oral prescription medications used to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
- How can a yeast infection be treated if I am pregnant?
- Can a man get a yeast infection from his sexual partner?
- What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in men?
- What is the treatment for yeast infection in men?
- How can vaginal yeast infections be prevented?
- What about recurrent yeast infections?
- How can you protect yourself from contracting a yeast infection from your sexual partner?
Which specialties of doctors treat yeast infections?
Primary care practitioners, including family practice physicians, internists, and pediatricians, may all treat yeast infections. In women, a gynecologist may also treat yeast infections.
How is a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed?
Even though the signs and symptoms of yeast infection may point to the cause, vaginal itching and discharge can be caused by other conditions including bacterial vaginosis and Trichomonas infections. To most accurately make the diagnosis, a sample of the discharge is tested in the laboratory, either by culture or by direct examination under a microscope, to identify the yeast organisms and to help rule out other causes such as bacterial vaginosis or sexually-transmitted diseases.
Are there home remedies to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
Yeast infection is treated using antifungal drugs. Both prescription and over-the-counter remedies are available that are effective in treating vaginal yeast infections. Nonprescription drugs are the best home remedy for yeast infections, and they can cure most yeast infections (see next section). Continue Reading