"Medscape Medical News
March 19, 2013 -- People with low back pain may benefit from a hands-on treatment known as osteopathic manual therapy (OMT) more than they do from ultrasound therapy.
A new study suggests that OMT leads t"...
Zanaflex Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Zanaflex
Generic Name: tizanidine (Pronunciation: tye ZAN i deen)
- What is tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
- What are the possible side effects of tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
- How should I take tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Zanaflex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Zanaflex)?
- What should I avoid while taking tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
- What other drugs will affect tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
Tizanidine is a short-acting muscle relaxer. It works by blocking nerve impulses (pain sensations) that are sent to your brain.
Tizanidine is used to treat spasticity by temporarily relaxing muscle tone.
Tizanidine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Tizanidine 2 mg-APO
round, white, imprinted with APO TI-2
Tizanidine 2 mg-EON
round, white, imprinted with E 34
Tizanidine 2 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with M 722
Tizanidine 2 mg-PAR
oval, white, imprinted with R179
Tizanidine 2 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93 5163
Tizanidine 4 mg-APO
round, white, imprinted with APO TI-4
Tizanidine 4 mg-EON
round, white, imprinted with E 44
Tizanidine 4 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with M 724
Tizanidine 4 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93 5160
Zanaflex 4 mg
round, white, imprinted with A 594
What are the possible side effects of tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- feeling light-headed, fainting, slow heart rate;
- hallucinations, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- burning or pain when you urinate.
Less serious side effects may be more likely to occur, such as:
- drowsiness or dizziness;
- feeling anxious or nervous;
- numbness or tingling;
- stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting;
- dry mouth;
- muscle weakness, back pain;
- increased muscle tone or spasms; or
- sweating or skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Zanaflex (tizanidine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about tizanidine (Zanaflex)?
Tizanidine is a short-acting medication that should be taken only for daily activities that require relief from muscle spasticity.
Do not take tizanidine if you are also taking the antidepressant fluvoxamine (Luvox), or the antibiotic ciprofloxacin (Cipro).
Do not use tizanidine at a time when muscle tone is needed to assure safe balance and movement for certain activities. In some situations, it may endanger your physical safety to be in a state of reduced muscle tone.
Switching between tizanidine tablets and capsules, or changing the way you take it with regard to eating, can cause an increase in side effects or a decrease in therapeutic effect. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. After making any changes in how you take tizanidine, contact your doctor if you notice any change in how well the medicine works or if it causes increased side effects.
Do not take more than three doses (36 mg) of tizanidine in a 24-hour period. Too much of this medication can damage your liver.
Cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, other muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression or anxiety can add to sleepiness caused by tizanidine. Tell your doctor if you need to use any of these other medicines together with tizanidine.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of tizanidine.
Additional Zanaflex Information
- Zanaflex Drug Interactions Center: tizanidine oral
- Zanaflex Side Effects Center
- Zanaflex Overview including Precautions
- Zanaflex FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Zanaflex - User Reviews
Zanaflex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.