"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today approved asfotase alfa (Strensiq, Alexion Pharmaceuticals) as the first-ever therapy for patients who develop hypophosphatasia, a rare metabolic bone disorder, in childhood.
Zavesca Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is miglustat (Zavesca)?
- What are the possible side effects of miglustat (Zavesca)?
- What is the most important information I should know about miglustat (Zavesca)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking miglustat (Zavesca)?
- How should I take miglustat (Zavesca)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Zavesca)?
- What happens if I overdose (Zavesca)?
- What should I avoid while taking miglustat (Zavesca)?
- What other drugs will affect miglustat (Zavesca)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking miglustat (Zavesca)?
Before taking miglustat, tell your doctor if you have kidney problems, any other medical conditions, or if you take any other medicines. You may not be able to take miglustat, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment.
Miglustat is in the FDA pregnancy category X. This means that miglustat is known to cause birth defects in an unborn baby. Do not take miglustat without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment. Use of birth control is recommended for women during treatment with miglustat. Because miglustat can also affect sperm, birth control is also recommended for men during, and for three months following, treatment with miglustat.
It is not known whether miglustat passes into breast milk and if it will affect a nursing baby. Do not take miglustat without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take miglustat (Zavesca)?
Take miglustat exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Take miglustat at the same time or times each day as directed by your doctor.
Swallow each capsule whole with a full glass of water.
Miglustat can be taken with or without food.
It is important to take miglustat regularly to get the most benefit.
Your doctor may want you to have neurological tests or other medical evaluations during treatment with miglustat to monitor progress and side effects.
Store miglustat at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Zavesca Information
- Zavesca Drug Interactions Center: miglustat oral
- Zavesca Side Effects Center
- Zavesca FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.