"Nov. 12, 2012 -- The requirement to fast before a cholesterol check can be a major inconvenience.
People who forget to fast may be told to reschedule their appointments. For those who remember, sitting in a doctor's waiting room with "...
Zocor Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Zocor
Generic Name: simvastatin (Pronunciation: SIM va sta tin)
- What is simvastatin (Zocor)?
- What are the possible side effects of simvastatin (Zocor)?
- What is the most important information I should know about simvastatin (Zocor)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking simvastatin (Zocor)?
- How should I take simvastatin (Zocor)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Zocor)?
- What happens if I overdose (Zocor)?
- What should I avoid while taking simvastatin (Zocor)?
- What other drugs will affect simvastatin (Zocor)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is simvastatin (Zocor)?
Simvastatin is in a group of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, or "statins." Simvastatin reduces levels of "bad" cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL) and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing levels of "good" cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL).
Simvastatin is used to lower cholesterol and triglycerides (types of fat) in the blood.
Simvastatin is also used to lower the risk of stroke, heart attack, and other heart complications in people with diabetes, coronary heart disease, or other risk factors
Simvastatin is used in adults and children who are at least 10 years old.
Simvastatin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Simvastatin 10 mg-COB
round, pink, imprinted with SV 10, LOGO
Simvastatin 10 mg-INT
oval, red, imprinted with S4
Simvastatin 10 mg-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with 93, 7153
Simvastatin 20 mg-COB
round, tan, imprinted with SV 20, LOGO
Simvastatin 20 mg-INT
oval, red, imprinted with S5
Simvastatin 20 mg-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with 93, 7154
Simvastatin 40 mg-COB
round, pink, imprinted with SV 40, LOGO
Simvastatin 40 mg-INT
oval, red, imprinted with S6
Simvastatin 40 mg-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with 93, 7155
Simvastatin 5 mg-COB
round, white, imprinted with LOGO, SV 5
Simvastatin 5 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with 93, 7152
Simvastatin 80 mg-COB
oblong, pink, imprinted with SV 80, LOGO
Simvastatin 80 mg-INT
oblong, red, imprinted with SMV, 80
Simvastatin 80 mg-TEV
oblong, pink, imprinted with 93, 7156
Zocor 10 mg
oval, orange, imprinted with MSD 735
Zocor 20 mg
oval, brown, imprinted with MSD 740
Zocor 40 mg
oval, red, imprinted with MSD 749, ZOCOR
Zocor 5 mg
shield, yellow, imprinted with ZOCOR, MSD 726
Zocor 80 mg
oblong, red, imprinted with 543, 80
What are the possible side effects of simvastatin (Zocor)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using simvastatin and call your doctor at once if you have:
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness;
- confusion, memory problems;
- fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- swelling, weight gain, little or no urinating;
- increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision, weight loss; or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- joint pain, mild muscle pain;
- constipation, stomach pain or indigestion, mild nausea;
- mild skin rash;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Zocor (simvastatin) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about simvastatin (Zocor)?
In rare cases, simvastatin can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Never take simvastatin in larger amounts, or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow your doctor's dosing instructions very carefully. Taking too much of this medication may cause serious or life-threatening side effects.
Many other drugs can interact with simvastatin. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Give a list of all your medicines to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Before taking simvastatin, tell your doctor if you have ever had liver or kidney disease, diabetes, or a thyroid disorder, if you are of Chinese descent, or if you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages daily.
Simvastatin can harm an unborn baby or cause birth defects. Do not use if you are pregnant.
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with simvastatin and lead to potentially dangerous effects. Do not consume grapefruit products while taking this medication.
Additional Zocor Information
- Zocor Drug Interactions Center: simvastatin oral
- Zocor Side Effects Center
- Zocor Overview including Precautions
- Zocor FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Zocor - User Reviews
Zocor User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.