"A European Medicines Agency (EMA) panel has recommended that elotuzumab (Empliciti, Bristol-Myers Squibb) be granted marketing authorization for the treatment of multiple myeloma.
The agent is used in combination with lenalid"...
- Patients should be instructed to tell their doctor if they have kidney problems before being given Zometa.
- Patients should be informed of the importance of getting their blood tests (serum creatinine) during the course of their Zometa therapy.
- Zometa should not be given if the patient is pregnant or plans to become pregnant, or if she is breastfeeding.
- Patients should be advised to have a dental examination prior to treatment with Zometa and should avoid invasive dental procedures during treatment.
- Patients should be informed of the importance of good dental hygiene, routine dental care and regular dental check-ups.
- Patients should be advised to immediately tell their doctor about any oral symptoms such as loosening of a tooth, pain, swelling, or non-healing of sores or discharge during treatment with Zometa.
- Patients with multiple myeloma and bone metastasis of solid tumors should be advised to take an oral calcium supplement of 500 mg and a multiple vitamin containing 400 international units of vitamin D daily.
- Patients should be advised to report any thigh, hip, or groin pain. It is unknown whether the risk of atypical femur fracture continues after stopping therapy.
- Patients should be aware of the most common side effects including: anemia, nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, fever, weakness, lower limb edema, anorexia, decreased weight, bone pain, myalgia, arthralgia, back pain, malignant neoplasm aggravated, headache, dizziness, insomnia, paresthesia, dyspnea, cough, and abdominal pain.
- There have been reports of bronchoconstriction in aspirin-sensitive patients receiving bisphosphonates, including zoledronic acid. Before being given zoledronic acid, patients should tell their doctor if they are aspirin-sensitive.
Last reviewed on RxList: 5/2/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Zometa Information
Zometa - User Reviews
Zometa User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.