"Why myeloma develops has been a mystery, but new research shows that lipids are involved, at least in about one-third of cases.
Researchers from the Yale Cancer Center report laboratory studies showing that chronic stimulation of the "...
- Patients should be instructed to tell their doctor if they have kidney problems before being given Zometa.
- Patients should be informed of the importance of getting their blood tests (serum creatinine) during the course of their Zometa therapy.
- Zometa should not be given if the patient is pregnant or plans to become pregnant, or if she is breastfeeding.
- Patients should be advised to have a dental examination prior to treatment with Zometa and should avoid invasive dental procedures during treatment.
- Patients should be informed of the importance of good dental hygiene, routine dental care and regular dental check-ups.
- Patients should be advised to immediately tell their doctor about any oral symptoms such as loosening of a tooth, pain, swelling, or non-healing of sores or discharge during treatment with Zometa.
- Patients with multiple myeloma and bone metastasis of solid tumors should be advised to take an oral calcium supplement of 500 mg and a multiple vitamin containing 400 international units of vitamin D daily.
- Patients should be advised to report any thigh, hip, or groin pain. It is unknown whether the risk of atypical femur fracture continues after stopping therapy.
- Patients should be aware of the most common side effects including: anemia, nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, fever, weakness, lower limb edema, anorexia, decreased weight, bone pain, myalgia, arthralgia, back pain, malignant neoplasm aggravated, headache, dizziness, insomnia, paresthesia, dyspnea, cough, and abdominal pain.
- There have been reports of bronchoconstriction in aspirin-sensitive patients receiving bisphosphonates, including zoledronic acid. Before being given zoledronic acid, patients should tell their doctor if they are aspirin-sensitive.
Last reviewed on RxList: 5/2/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Zometa Information
Zometa - User Reviews
Zometa User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.