"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA; Ameluz, Biofrontera) gel in combination with the activating BF-RhodoLED photodynamic therapy (PDT) lamp for treatment of patients with actinic keratosis ("...
(acyclovir) Cream, 5%
Important information: ZOVIRAX Cream is for use on cold sores on the lips and around the mouth only. ZOVIRAX Cream should not be used in your eyes, mouth, nose, or on your genitals.
What is ZOVIRAX Cream?
- ZOVIRAX Cream is a prescription medicine used to treat cold sores (herpes labialis) that are recurring in adults and children 12 years of age and older, and who have normal immune systems.
- ZOVIRAX Cream is not a cure for cold sores.
- It is not known if ZOVIRAX Cream is safe and effective in children less than 12 years of age.
Who should not use ZOVIRAX Cream?
Do not use ZOVIRAX Cream if you are:
- allergic to ZOVIRAX Cream or any of the ingredients in ZOVIRAX Cream. See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in ZOVIRAX Cream.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before using ZOVIRAX Cream?
Before using ZOVIRAX Cream, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- become sick very easily (have a weak immune system)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if ZOVIRAX Cream will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if ZOVIRAX Cream passes into your breast milk. You should not breastfeed if you have a cold sore near or on your breast.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
How should I use ZOVIRAX Cream?
- Use ZOVIRAX Cream exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to use it.
- Use ZOVIRAX Cream as soon as you have the first symptoms of a cold sore such as itching, redness, burning or tingling, or when the cold sore appears.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after applying ZOVIRAX Cream.
- The affected area should be clean and dry before applying ZOVIRAX Cream.
- Apply ZOVIRAX Cream to the affected area 5 times each day for 4 days, including the outer edge.
- You should not apply other skin products to the affected area during treatment with ZOVIRAX Cream.
- Do not rub the cold sore because this may cause the cold sore to spread to other areas around your mouth or make your cold sore worse.
What are the possible side effects of ZOVIRAX Cream?
The most common side effects of ZOVIRAX Cream are skin reactions at the treatment site and may include: dry or cracked lips, peeling, flaking or dryness of the skin, a burning or stinging feeling, and itching.
These are not all the possible side effects of ZOVIRAX Cream. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store ZOVIRAX Cream?
- Store ZOVIRAX Cream at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C). Keep ZOVIRAX Cream and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General information about the safe and effective use of ZOVIRAX Cream
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use ZOVIRAX Cream for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give ZOVIRAX Cream to other people, even if they have the same symptoms you have. It may harm them. You can ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider for information about ZOVIRAX Cream that is written for health professionals.
What are the ingredients in ZOVIRAX Cream? Active ingredient: acyclovir Inactive ingredients: cetostearyl alcohol, mineral oil, poloxamer 407, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, water, and white petrolatum
Last reviewed on RxList: 4/15/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Zovirax Cream Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.