"Dec. 5, 2014 -- Children with asthma might one day benefit from a simple urine test that could ensure they receive the right dose of medication to help them better manage their condition.
An Anglo-Polish research team found that a urine tes"...
Zyflo CR Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Zyflo, Zyflo CR
Generic Name: zileuton (Pronunciation: zye LOO ton)
- What is zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
- What are the possible side effects of zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
- What is the most important information I should know about zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
- How should I take zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Zyflo CR)?
- What happens if I overdose (Zyflo CR)?
- What should I avoid while taking zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
- What other drugs will affect zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
Zileuton is a leukotriene (loo-koe-TRY-een) inhibitor. Leukotrienes are chemicals your body releases when you breathe in an allergen (such as pollen). These chemicals cause swelling in your lungs and tightening of the muscles around your airways, which can result in asthma symptoms.
Zileuton is used to prevent asthma attacks in adults and children as young as 12 years old.
Zileuton may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- mood or behavior changes, anxiety, depression, or thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself; or
- worsening asthma symptoms.
Less serious side effects may include:
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sinus pain, sneezing, sore throat;
- diarrhea, upset stomach;
- weakness; or
- muscle pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Zyflo CR (zileuton extended release tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about zileuton (Zyflo CR)?
Call your doctor at once if you have nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes). These may be early signs of liver problems.
Do not use zileuton to treat an asthma attack that has already begun. It will not work fast enough. Use only a fast acting inhalation medication. Talk with your doctor if any of your asthma medications do not seem to work as well in treating or preventing attacks.
It may take up to a few weeks before your symptoms improve. Keep using the medication as directed even if you feel fine or have no symptoms. Having no asthma symptoms is a sign that the medication is working.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your risk of liver damage.
Call your doctor at once if you have any mood or behavior changes, anxiety, depression, or thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.
Additional Zyflo CR Information
- Zyflo CR Drug Interactions Center: zileuton oral
- Zyflo CR Side Effects Center
- Zyflo CR Overview including Precautions
- Zyflo CR FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Zyflo CR - User Reviews
Zyflo CR User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.