"Jan. 7, 2011 -- Many people taking powerful psychiatric medications that increase their risk of weight gain and diabetes are prescribed those drugs when there's little evidence that they will get any benefit from them, a new study shows.
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What are the possible side effects of olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What is the most important information I should know about olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- How should I take olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What happens if I overdose (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What should I avoid while taking olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What other drugs will affect olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. Overdose symptoms may include drowsiness, agitation, aggression, slurred speech, confusion, increased heart rate, jerky or uncontrolled muscle movements, trouble breathing, or fainting.
What should I avoid while taking olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
Olanzapine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
Drinking alcohol can increase sleepiness caused by olanzapine.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, especially in hot weather and during exercise. It is easier to become dangerously overheated and dehydrated while you are taking olanzapine.
What other drugs will affect olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
Before using olanzapine, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that can make you sleepy or slow your breathing (such as cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to the side effects of olanzapine.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- heart or blood pressure medication;
- carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol);
- diazepam (Valium);
- fluoxetine and olanzapine (Symbyax);
- fluvoxamine (Luvox);
- omeprazole (Prilosec);
- rifampin (Rifater, Rifadin, Rifamate); or
- a medication to treat Parkinson's disease including levodopa (Sinemet, Larodopa, Atamet), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), pramipexole (Mirapex), ropinirole (Requip), and others.
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with olanzapine. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about olanzapine.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 13.02. Revision date: 9/27/2011.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Information
- Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Drug Interactions Center: olanzapine oral
- Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Side Effects Center
- Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Overview including Precautions
- Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis - User Reviews
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on therapy and treatment.