"Jan. 7, 2011 -- Many people taking powerful psychiatric medications that increase their risk of weight gain and diabetes are prescribed those drugs when there's little evidence that they will get any benefit from them, a new study shows.
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis
Generic Name: olanzapine (oral) (Pronunciation: oh LANZ a peen)
- What is olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What are the possible side effects of olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What is the most important information I should know about olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- How should I take olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What happens if I overdose (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What should I avoid while taking olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- What other drugs will affect olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
Olanzapine is an antipsychotic medication that affects chemicals in the brain.
Olanzapine is used to treat the symptoms of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder (manic depression) in adults and children who are at least 13 years old.
Olanzapine is sometimes used together with other antipsychotic medications or antidepressants.
Olanzapine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Zyprexa 10 mg
round, white, imprinted with LILLY 4117
Zyprexa 15 mg
oval, blue, imprinted with LILLY 4415
Zyprexa 2.5 mg
round, white, imprinted with LILLY 4112
Zyprexa 20 mg
oval, pink, imprinted with LILLY 4420
Zyprexa 5 mg
round, white, imprinted with LILLY 4115
Zyprexa 7.5 mg
round, white, imprinted with LILLY 4116
Zyprexa Zydis 10 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with 10
Zyprexa Zydis 5 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with 5
What are the possible side effects of olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using olanzapine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, tremors, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, slow heart rate, feeling like you might pass out;
- twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs;
- trouble speaking or swallowing;
- dry mouth, thirst, feeling very hot (with or without sweating), urinating less than usual or not at all;
- high blood sugar (increased thirst, loss of appetite, fruity breath odor, increased urination, drowsiness, dry skin, nausea, and vomiting);
- sudden numbness or weakness, confusion, or problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
- swelling in your hands or feet;
- changes in personality, unusual thoughts or behavior, hallucinations, or thoughts about hurting yourself; or
- upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- weight gain (more likely in teenagers), increased appetite;
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness, feeling tired or restless;
- memory problems;
- stomach pain, constipation, loss of bladder control;
- back pain, pain in your arms or legs;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- breast swelling or discharge (in women or men); or
- missed menstrual periods.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)?
Olanzapine is not for use in psychotic conditions related to dementia. Olanzapine may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions.
You may gain weight or have high cholesterol and triglycerides (types of fat) while taking this medicine, especially if you are a teenager. Your blood may need to be tested often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Olanzapine can cause high blood sugar (hyperglycemia). If you are diabetic, check your blood sugar levels on a regular basis while you are taking olanzapine.
Olanzapine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking olanzapine.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, especially in hot weather and during exercise. It is easier to become dangerously overheated and dehydrated while you are taking olanzapine.
Additional Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Information
- Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Drug Interactions Center: olanzapine oral
- Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Side Effects Center
- Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis Overview including Precautions
- Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis - User Reviews
Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on therapy and treatment.