"Feb. 23, 2012 -- The FDA has warned that treatment with antipsychotic drugs increases the risk of death among elderly patients with dementia, and now a new study confirms that some drugs are riskier than others.
Compared to patients t"...
Zyprexa Relprevv Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Zyprexa, ZyPREXA Relprevv
Generic Name: olanzapine (injection) (Pronunciation: oh LAN za peen)
- What is olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- What are the possible side effects of olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- What is the most important information I should know about olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- How is olanzapine injection given (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- What happens if I overdose (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- What should I avoid after receiving olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- What other drugs will affect olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
Olanzapine is an antipsychotic medication that affects chemicals in the brain.
Olanzapine injection is used to treat adults who are in an agitated state due to schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic depression). Olanzapine injection is not for daily use to treat any psychotic condition.
Olanzapine injection may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fast or slow heart rate;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs; or
- being unable to sit still.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness;
- tremors or shaking;
- nausea; or
- pain where the injection was given.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Zyprexa Relprevv (olanzapine extended release injectable suspension) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about olanzapine injection (Zyprexa Relprevv)?
You should not receive this medication if you are allergic to olanzapine.
If possible before you receive olanzapine injection, tell your doctor if you have heart disease, congestive heart failure, a heart rhythm disorder, a history of heart attack or stroke, or if you are also using a sedative such as Valium.
You may need to stop breast-feeding for a short time after receiving an olanzapine injection. Follow your doctor's instructions.
In an emergency situation it may not be possible before you are treated to tell your caregivers about your health conditions or if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Make sure any doctor caring for you afterward knows that you have received this medicine.
Olanzapine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Additional Zyprexa Relprevv Information
- Zyprexa Relprevv Drug Interactions Center: olanzapine pamoate im
- Zyprexa Relprevv Side Effects Center
- Zyprexa Relprevv Overview including Precautions
- Zyprexa Relprevv FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on therapy and treatment.