"What are allergies?
Allergies occur when the body's immune system responds to a substance it considers an "invader." Substances that provoke the immune system into an allergic response are known as allergens. There is no such thing as a"...
Zyrtec Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is cetirizine (Zyrtec)?
- What are the possible side effects of cetirizine?
- What is the most important information I should know about cetirizine?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cetirizine?
- How should I take cetirizine?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking cetirizine?
- What other drugs will affect cetirizine?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cetirizine?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to cetirizine.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take this medicine if you have any medical conditions.
FDA pregnancy category B. This medication is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
Cetirizine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Older adults may need to take a lower than normal dose. Follow your doctor's instructions.
How should I take cetirizine?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
You may take this medication with or without food.
The chewable tablet must be chewed before you swallow it.
Do not swallow the dissolving tablet whole. Allow it to dissolve in your mouth without chewing. Swallow several times as the tablet dissolves. If desired, you may drink liquid to help swallow the dissolved tablet.
Measure liquid medicine with a special dose-measuring spoon or cup, not a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, if they get worse, or if you also have a fever.
Store this medicine at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not allow the liquid form of this medicine to freeze.
Additional Zyrtec Information
- Zyrtec Drug Interactions Center: cetirizine oral
- Zyrtec Side Effects Center
- Zyrtec Overview including Precautions
- Zyrtec FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Zyrtec - User Reviews
Zyrtec User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.