"By Peter Russell
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Arefa Cassoobhoy, MD, MPH
They say the research could lead to better treatment, because doctors would be able to know which tumors are more likely to grow and spread."...
Zytiga Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is abiraterone (Zytiga)?
- What are the possible side effects of abiraterone (Zytiga)?
- What is the most important information I should know about abiraterone (Zytiga)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking abiraterone (Zytiga)?
- How should I take abiraterone (Zytiga)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Zytiga)?
- What happens if I overdose (Zytiga)?
- What should I avoid while taking abiraterone (Zytiga)?
- What other drugs will affect abiraterone (Zytiga)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Zytiga)?
Skip the missed dose and take the medicine the following day on an empty stomach (no food for at least 2 hours before or 1 hour after you take abiraterone). Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Call your doctor for instructions if you miss more than one dose of abiraterone.
What happens if I overdose (Zytiga)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking abiraterone (Zytiga)?
Avoid eating for at least 2 hours before you take abiraterone and for at least 1 hour after your dose. Food can increase the amount of abiraterone your body absorbs.
What other drugs will affect abiraterone (Zytiga)?
Tell your doctor about all medicines you use, and those you start or stop using during your treatment with abiraterone, especially:
- cough or cold medicine that contains dextromethorphan;
- the heart rhythm medicines flecainide or propafenone;
- prostate or breast cancer medications such as leuprolide, buserelin, histrelin, or goserelin;
- an antidepressant--amitriptyline, doxepin, clomipramine, desipramine, imipramine, nortriptyline.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may interact with abiraterone, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible interactions are listed in this medication guide.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about abiraterone.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.01. Revision date: 2/4/2013.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Zytiga Information
- Zytiga Drug Interactions Center: abiraterone oral
- Zytiga Side Effects Center
- Zytiga FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.