The AAFP states that: "The American Academy of Family Physicians is the national association of family doctors. It is one of the largest national medical organization. Until October 3, 1971, it was known as the American Academy of General Practice. The name was changed in order to reflect more accurately the changing nature of primary health care.
"The Academy was founded in 1947 to promote and maintain high quality standards for family doctors who are providing continuing comprehensive health care to the public. Other major purposes of the Academy include:
- To provide responsible advocacy for and education of patients and the public in all health-related matters;
- To preserve and promote quality cost-effective health care;
- To promote the science and art of family medicine and to ensure an optimal supply of well-trained family physicians;
- To promote and maintain high standards among physicians who practice family medicine;
- To preserve the right of family physicians to engage in medicine