WHAT ARE OROPHARYNGEAL ANESTHETICS AND HOW DO THEY WORK?
Oropharyngeal anesthetics are local anesthetics used to relieve pain associated with a minor mouth problem. Local anesthesia causes a temporary loss of sensation, including pain, without depressing the level of consciousness. Local anesthetics act within nerve fibers to inhibit the rapid inflow of sodium necessary for impulse generation. When there is no impulse generation, there is no transmission of pain around that area.
HOW ARE OROPHARYNGEAL ANESTHETICS USED?
Oropharyngeal anesthetics are mainly used to relieve short-term pain associated with diseases of mucous membranes of the mouth, including:
WHAT ARE SIDE EFFECTS OF OROPHARYNGEAL ANESTHETICS?
Oropharyngeal anesthetics can cause some side effects, including:
The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible side effects, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these drugs do not cause any harm when you take them along with other medicines. Never stop taking your medication and never change your dose or frequency without consulting your doctor.
WHAT ARE DRUG NAMES OF OROPHARYNGEAL ANESTHETICS?
Generic and brand names of oropharyngeal anesthetics include:
- Anbesol Baby
- Anbesol Cold Sore Therapy
- Anbesol Jr
- Baby Orajel Teething Nighttime Formula
- Baby Orajel Teething Pain Gel
- Baby Orajel Teething Pain Liquid
- Baby Orajel Teething Swabs
- Benzalkonium chloride/benzocaine
- Benzalkonium chloride/menthol/petrolatum topical
- Benzocaine oropharyngeal
- Benzocaine/menthol oropharyngeal
- Cepacol Dual Relief Sore Throat
- Cepacol Sensations Cooling
- Cepacol Sensations Hydra
- Cepacol Sensations Warming
- Chloraseptic Warming Sore Throat Lozenges
- Halls Warm-Ups
- Kids Chloraseptic Sore Throat Lollipops
- Luden's Moisture Drops
- Maximum Strength Anbesol
- Menthol oropharyngeal
- Orajel Adult
- Orajel Cold Sore Cream
- Orajel Maximum Strength Toothache Pain Relief
- Orajel Mouth-Aid
- Orajel Regular Strength Toothache Pain Relief
- Orajel Severe PM Toothache Pain Relief
- Orajel Severe Toothache Pain Relief
- Orajel Single Dose
- Pectin oropharyngeal
- Sucrets Children's Formula
- Sucrets Classic Sore Throat
- Sucrets Complete Sore Throat, Cough & Stuffiness
- Sucrets Maximum Strength Sore Throat
- Sucrets Original Formula Sore Throat
- Viroxyn Professional Use