When one consumes less than 50 g of carbohydrates in a day, the body runs out of blood sugar (fuel) eventually. After the body runs out of blood sugar, the body starts to break down proteins and fats for energy, ultimately resulting in weight loss.
What is shirataki noodle?
Shirataki noodles are made from konjac yam, they are translucent noodles, and are high in glucomannan fiber. Shirataki is Japanese for “white waterfall,” which describes the lucid appearance of the noodles.
Glucomannan fiber is a type of soluble fiber that comes from the root of the konjac plant. Konjac plants grow in Japan, China, and Southeast Asia; these plants are locally known as snake plant and voodoo lily.
What are the health benefits of shirataki noodles?
Shirataki noodles don’t contain any vitamins or minerals, but these can be added by the manufacturers. Manufacturers may add a small amount of tofu or other ingredients, but the nutritional values of these additions are generally irrelevant. However, shirataki noodles offer a small number of health benefits, which include:
- Controlling blood sugar level: The soluble fiber can slow down carbohydrate absorption.
- They may be a good choice for a ketogenic diet because it helps in weight loss.
- Controlling cholesterol level: Glucomannan in shirataki noodles increases the amount of cholesterol excreted in the stool so that less is reabsorbed into the bloodstream.
- Relieves constipation: Glucomannan increases bowel movement frequency.
- It promotes good health of the colon by increasing the healthy gut bacteria.
What are the other health benefits of a keto-friendly diet?
The keto-friendly or ketogenic diet also has health benefits, which include:
- Protection from some kinds of cancers: With a ketogenic diet, your body produces or stores less insulin resulting in protection from some kinds of cancer or alleviates the growth of cancer cells.
- Prevention of acne: Cutting down on carbohydrates may prevent the formation of acne by reducing hyperinsulinemia.
- Controlling seizures: Ketogenic diets may help to control seizures.
- Preventing nervous system disorder: Breakdown of fat results in ketone formation, which may protect brain cells from damage. Some of the nervous system disorder that a ketogenic diet prevent include:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: High levels of insulin may cause cyst formation in the ovaries. As a ketogenic diet prevents insulin formation, the chances of polycystic ovary syndrome can be reduced.
It is important to consult a board-certified dietitian before starting a keto diet.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
WebMD. What’s a Ketogenic Diet? https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-ketogenic-diet#:~:text=%E2%80%9CKetogenic%E2%80%9D%20is%20a%20term%20for,%2C%20pastries%2C%20and%20white%20bread
Chen H-L, Sheu WH-H, Tai T-S, et al. Konjac supplement alleviated hypercholesterolemia and hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetic subjects--a randomized double-blind trial. J Am Coll Nutr. February 2003; 22(1):36-42. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12569112/