- What other names is Biocell Collagen known by?
- What is Biocell Collagen?
- How does Biocell Collagen work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Biocell Collagen.
People apply BioCell Collagen to the skin for aging skin, dry skin, and wrinkled skin.
Possibly Effective for...
- Osteoarthritis. Research shows that taking 1 gram of BioCell Collagen by mouth twice daily for up to 10 weeks reduces pain, increases physical activity, and reduces the need for pain medication in people with osteoarthritis.
Possibly Ineffective for...
- Aging skin. Early research shows that taking 500 mg of BioCell Collagen by mouth twice daily for 12 weeks improves skin dryness and reduces lines and wrinkles in women with visible signs of aging skin.
- Dry skin.
- Exercise-induced joint pain.
- Wrinkled skin.
- Other conditions.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
BioCell Collagen might increase levels of collagen in the skin. Collagen gives skin its strength and elasticity.
BioCell Collagen is LIKELY SAFE for adults when taken by mouth short-term in daily doses of 2 grams or less. For the most part, there is not enough evidence to know whether it is safe for adults when applied to the skin.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the safety of BioCell Collagen during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For osteoarthritis: 1 gram taken twice daily for up to 10 weeks.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Kalman DS, Schwartz HI, Pachon J, Sheldon E, Almada AL. A randomized double blind clinical pilot trial evaluating the safety and efficacy of hydrolyzed collagen type II in adults with osteoarthritis. FASEB Experimental Biology 2004 Abstracts, Washington DC, April 17-21, 2004; A90.
Licensed Natural Health Products Database. Health Canada. http://webprod5.hc-sc.gc.ca/lnhpd-bdpsnh/info.do?licence=80034311&lang=eng. Updated February 27, 2014. Accessed January 15, 2015.
Schauss AG, Merkel DJ, Glaza SM, Sorenson SR. Acute and subchronic oral toxicity studies in rats of a hydrolyzed chicken sternal cartilage preparation. Food Chem Toxicol. 2007;45(2):315-321. View abstract.
Schauss AG, Stenehjem J, Park J, Endres JR, Clewell A. Effect of the novel low molecular weight hydrolyzed chicken sternal cartilage extract, BioCell Collagen, on improving osteoarthritis-related symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60(16):4096-4101. View abstract.
Schwartz SR, Park J. Ingestion of BioCell Collagen, a novel hydrolyzed chicken sternal cartilage extract; enhanced blood microcirculation and reduced facial aging signs. Clin Interv Aging. 2012;7:267-273. View abstract.