Medifast claims that it helps to lose 2 to 5 pounds each week. People on this diet are given five prepackaged Medifast meal replacements that should be eaten five times a day for losing weight.
Medifast replacement meals are low in:
Besides, Medifast meals are nutrient-rich and fortified with vitamins and minerals that help in losing weight without losing nutrients. It directs the body to use its fat stores as fuel. The protein and carbohydrates in the food help to retain muscle mass while losing fat.
What is a Medifast diet?
Medifast is a commercial weight-loss plan based on meal replacement. The major advantages of Medifast are:
- It is satisfying as you need to have a meal every 2 to 3 hours every day, which keeps you satiated.
- It is comparatively safe and is recommended by most physicians.
- It is a long-term weight loss program.
- It is less complex compared to other weight loss programs.
Medifast plan consists of
- A five and one plan, where you are given five replacement meals and you can choose one regular meal for weight loss.
- A three and three plan, where you are given three regular meals and three replacement meals for 6 weeks.
How does a Medifast diet work?
The first step is to pick your program, which includes:
- Women who are nursing
- People with diabetes
- People with a gluten allergy
- People with gout
- People taking blood thinners
Then you pick a support system
Next, place an order for the replacement meal
There are three phases in this diet plan that includes:
- Weight loss phase: In this phase, you eat six meals a day (five replacement meals and one regular meal), until you reach your desired weight.
- Transition phase: Once the weight loss phase is successful, the transition phase starts. Foods that were avoided in the previous phase, such as fruits, starches, and dairy, are introduced in this phase. The period of this phase depends on the weight lost during the previous phase.
- Maintenance phase: In this phase, you eat healthy, balanced food with some Medifast meals.
The meal plan limits your calorie intake to about 800-1000 calories per day.
What to avoid and eat in a Medifast diet plan?
Medifast involves more than 70 replacement meals given over a fixed amount of time. The meal provided to you each day includes:
- 5 to 7 ounces of lean protein
- 3 servings of vegetables
- 2 servings of healthy fats
Besides, you can also consume:
- One snack
Alcohol is off-limits in this diet.
What are the concerns with a Medifast diet?
Medifast may cause the following concerns in some because it is extremely low in calories:
Before attempting any diet plan, consult your physician or registered dietitian about the safety and effectiveness of the diet plans.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors