Yes, the stress can make the skin break into hives. Stress induces a chemical response in the body that makes the skin more sensitive. It releases the hormone, cortisol, in the body that directs the gland in the skin to produce more oil, causing more skin problems.
Skin problems associated with stress include:
What are the symptoms of stress rash?
The most common signs of stress rash include:
Why do I have a stress rash?
Women in their 30s and 40s with a previous history of hives are at high risk of getting stress rashes. Stress alters the hormonal levels of the body. It makes a certain part of the nervous system hyperactive. These changes cause the chemical, histamine, to be released in the body. The histamine damages the skin cells and causes hives.
What happens if I scratch my stress rash?
How long does stress rash last?
Generally, a single hive disappears within 24 hours or less, and a new hive appears at a different site as the older one subsides. A bout of hives or multiple hives usually takes about six weeks to resolve and is known as acute hives. Hives lasting for more than six weeks are known as chronic hives and should be brought to a dermatologist's attention.
How to treat a stress rash?
The best treatment is to learn proper stress management. A stress rash may require medications to treat them, which may include:
- Antihistamines, such as Allegra (fexofenadine) or Claritin (loratadine)
- Corticosteroids like Deltasone (prednisone)
- Aczone (dapsone)
- Xolair (omalizumab)
- Anti-inflammatory medications
Other ways to relieve stress rash include:
- Applying a cold compress
- Avoid overheating
- Wear loose-fitting cotton clothes
- Use over the counter anti-itch medications
- Use fragrance-free moisturizer to prevent dry skin
Following measures can help handle and avoid stress.
- Taking good care of your skin by keeping it clean and moisturizing it
- Exercising regularly may prove beneficial to your skin and the body
- Setting aside some time for yourself by indulging in things that make you happy
- Relieving your stress and anxiety by practicing breathing techniques and meditation
- Sleeping for seven to eight hours is essential for healthy skin
- Do not overstress yourself with tasks or deadlines
- Seeking help from someone you trust
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors