Believe it or not, studies have shown that having sex can burn almost as many calories as a quick jog. And while it’s not necessarily the most effective form of exercise to shed unwanted pounds, it’s definitely a fun activity to spice up your weight loss program.
Of course, whatever your reason for getting down and dirty more often, remember to practice safe sex to protect yourself and others.
How many calories can you burn by having sex?
A recent study showed that during one 30-minute sex session:
- Men can burn up to 120 calories
- Women can burn up to 90 calories
Another study showed that a vigorous 30-minute sex session can burn as many as 150 calories, which is equivalent to a 15-minute jog.
Of course, chances are that you aren’t going to have sex that long every time. However, sex can be considered a mild to moderate physical activity.
What sex positions burn the most calories?
- This position can help strengthen legs and core muscles.
- If both partners are standing, the woman may burn about 30 calories while the man may burn about 51 calories over 10 minutes.
- If the man is holding the woman up the entire time, he may burn 65 calories and the woman may burn 40 calories.
- This position can help partners burn around 60 calories in 15 minutes.
- The woman must lay on her back with her hands kept flat, then lift her back and legs up to form an arch, while the man is on his knees.
- Men will work their core, hamstrings, and quads muscles. Women will work everything from calves to their shoulders.
- Cowgirl is the best sex position for women when it comes to burning calories.
- Studies have shown that women can burn about 135 calories in a 30-minute session.
- The lower part of the woman's legs are braced on the bed or the floor, which can help engage the buttocks, legs, and core muscles.
- Men can work their core muscles in the doggy position, and women can burn about 84.38 calories.
- Both partners will engage their core muscles, as well as their quads. Women may engage their arm and leg muscles as well.
- However, this position is one of the most dangerous sex positions for women because it can cause vaginal tears.
- In the missionary position, the woman may burn about 14 calories in a 10-minute session and men may burn about 47 calories.
- However, there are ways to burn more energy while doing this simple position and improve core strength.
- Men can flex their core muscles in this position, similar to doing ab crunches. They can also squeeze their glutes during intercourse.
- Women can strengthen their core muscles by lifting the pelvic area with their core instead of their lower back.
Are there health benefits to having sex?
If you’re serious about losing weight, it’s best to stick to a traditional workout routine. However, sex does have real health benefits, including:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Feintuch S. Calories Burned During Sex May Surprise You. Healthy Women. https://www.healthywomen.org/content/article/calories-burned-during-sex-may-surprise-you
Groshura. How to Lose Weight During Sex. https://swano.org/how-to-loose-weight-during-sex.php