Brand Names: Cefzil
Generic Name: cefprozil
- What is cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What are the possible side effects of cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- How should I take cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Cefzil)?
- What happens if I overdose (Cefzil)?
- What should I avoid while taking cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What other drugs will affect cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- Where can I get more information (Cefzil)?
What is cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Cefprozil is a cephalosporin (SEF a low spor in) antibiotic that is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria.
Cefprozil may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction (hives, difficult breathing, swelling in your face or throat) or a severe skin reaction (fever, sore throat, burning eyes, skin pain, red or purple skin rash with blistering and peeling).
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- severe stomach pain, diarrhea that is watery or bloody (even if it occurs months after your last dose);
- fever, chills, sore throat, mouth sores;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding;
- a seizure; or
- kidney problems--little or no urination, swelling in your feet or ankles, feeling tired or short of breath.
Common side effects may include:
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the most important information I should know about cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
3 pharmacies near 20147 have coupons for Cefzil (Brand Names:Cefzil for 50ML of 125MG/5ML)
Est. Regular Price
with free coupon
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cefprozil (Cefzil)?
You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to cefprozil or other cephalosporin antibiotics, such as:
- cephalexin; or
- cephradine, and others.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- an allergy to any drug (especially penicillin);
- intestinal problems, such as colitis; or
- kidney disease.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Some antibiotics can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-oral birth control to prevent pregnancy. This includes injections, implants, skin patches, vaginal rings, condom, diaphragm, cervical cap, or contraceptive sponge.
Cefprozil is not approved for use by anyone younger than 6 months old.
How should I take cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medicine guides or instruction sheets. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Shake the liquid before you measure a dose. Use the dosing syringe provided, or use a medicine dose-measuring device (not a kitchen spoon).
Cefprozil doses are based on weight in children. Follow all dosing instructions carefully when giving this medicine to a child.
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time, even if your symptoms quickly improve. Skipping doses can increase your risk of infection that is resistant to medication. Cefprozil will not treat a viral infection such as the flu or a common cold.
Cefprozil can affect the results of certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using cefprozil.
Store cefprozil tablets at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
Store cefprozil liquid in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused cefprozil liquid that is older than 14 days.
What happens if I miss a dose (Cefzil)?
Take the medicine as soon as you can, but skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take two doses at one time.
What happens if I overdose (Cefzil)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or bloody, call your doctor before using anti-diarrhea medicine.
What other drugs will affect cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Tell your doctor about all your other medicines, especially:
- probenecid; or
- an antibiotic such as amikacin, gentamicin, kanamycin, streptomycin, or tobramycin.
This list is not complete. Other drugs may affect cefprozil, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible drug interactions are listed here.
Where can I get more information (Cefzil)?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about cefprozil.
Copyright 1996-2019 Cerner Multum, Inc.