Image Collection: Medical Illustrations
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
Pill Identifier on RxList
- quick, easy,
Find a Local Pharmacy
- including 24 hour, pharmacies
- Check potential drug interactions
45. Picture of Colon Cancer
Colon cancer: A malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from colonic polyps. Removal of these precancerous polyps can prevent colon cancer.
Colon polyps and early colon cancers cause no signs or symptoms. Full-blown colon cancer can cause occult (a microscopic amount of) blood in the stool, overt rectal bleeding, bowel obstruction, and weight loss.
Risk factors for colon cancer include a family history of it or of colonic polyps, and long standing ulcerative colitis. The overall risk can be reduced by following a diet low in fat and high in fiber.
Colon cancer is preventable and curable. It is preventable by removing the precancerous colon polyps. It is curable if detected early when it can be surgically removed before it has spread to other parts of the body. If screening and surveillance programs were practiced universally, there would be a tremendous reduction in the incidence and mortality of colon cancer.
Text: MedicineNet, Inc.
Guide to understanding the Image Collection Gallery categories:
- Common Colon Cancer Treatments
- Is This the Most Effective Cancer Treatment?
- Complementary Treatments for Cancer