Brand Name: CaCl or CaCl2
Generic Name: Calcium Chloride
Drug Class:Antidotes, Other; Calcium Salts
What Is Calcium Chloride and How Does It Work?
Calcium Chloride is a mineral indicated in the immediate treatment of hypocalcemic tetany (abnormally low levels of calcium in the body that cause muscle spasm). Calcium chloride injection is also used in cardiac resuscitation, arrhythmias, hypermagnesemia, calcium channel blocker overdose, and beta-blocker overdose.
Calcium Chloride is available under the following different brand or other names: CaCl and CaCl2.
Dosages of Calcium Chloride:
Dosage Forms and Strengths
Dosage Considerations – Should be Given as Follows:
Hypocalcemia, Emergency Treatment
- Adults: 500-1000 mg intravenously (IV) over 5-10 minutes; may repeat as necessary
- Infants: less than 75 mg (20 mg elemental Ca) IV; may repeat as necessary
- Children: 75-519 mg (20-140 mg elemental Ca) IV, may repeat as necessary
- Indicated for arrhythmias associated with hypocalcemia, hyperkalemia, or hypermagnesemia
- 500-1000 mg intravenously (IV) over 5-10 minutes
- 500-1000 mg intravenously (IV) over 2-5 minutes; observe the patient for signs of recovery; may repeat if CNS depression persists
Calcium Channel Blocker Overdose
- 1-2 g intravenously (IV) infused over 10-20 min; may repeat every 20 minutes prn up to 5 doses
- 1000 mg intravenous (IV) bolus via central line
Hypocalcemic Tetany, Pediatric
- Neonates: 171 mg/kg/day intravenously (IV) in divided doses
- Infants and Children: 10 mg/kg intravenously (IV) over 5-10 min three to four times daily; alternatively, may administer 35-50 mg/kg IV three to four times daily
Other Indications and Uses
- Medullary thyroid cancer diagnosis
- 1 g (10 mL) vials of calcium chloride 10% solution contain 273 mg (13.6 mEq) elemental calcium
- Pediatric: (Not recommended) Cardiac Arrest: 20 mg/kg intravenous (IV) push every 10 minutes as necessary
Find out what women really need.