Brand Name: Unisom
Generic Name: Doxylamine
Drug Class: Sedative/Hypnotics; Antihistamines, Ethanolamine Derivatives
What Is Doxylamine and How Does It Work?
Doxylamine is an over-the-counter (OTC) medication that is used as a nighttime sleep aid or to treat insomnia, as well as treatment for upper respiratory tract allergies. It helps reduce difficulty in falling asleep.
Doxylamine is available under the following different brand names: Unisom.
Dosage of Doxylamine:
- 25 mg
Dosage Considerations – Should be Given as Follows:
Adults and Children over 12 years old:
- 25 mg orally every evening as needed 30 minutes before bedtime
Not recommended for use in children under 12 years old
Upper Respiratory Tract Allergy
50 mg orally every 4-6 hours
- Avoid use in elderly because of high incidence of anticholinergic effects
- Clearance reduced with advanced age, greater risk of confusion, dry mouth, constipation, and other anticholinergic effects and toxicity
- May exacerbate existing lower urinary conditions or benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Tolerance develops when used as hypnotic
Find out what women really need.