Brand Name: Osmitrol
Generic Name: Mannitol
Drug Class: Diuretics, Osmotic Agents
What Is Mannitol and How Does It Work?
Mannitol is a diuretic used to force urine production in people with acute (sudden) kidney failure. Mannitol injection is also used to reduce swelling and pressure inside the eye or around the brain.
Mannitol is available under the following different brand names: Osmitrol.
Dosages of Mannitol:
Adult and Pediatric Dosage Forms and Strengths
Dosage Considerations – Should be Given as Follows:
Reduction of intracranial pressure and treatment of cerebral edema
1.5-2 g/kg intravenously (IV) infused over 30-60 minutes
- 0.25-1 g/kg intravenously (IV) initially; maintenance dose of 0.25-0.5 g/kg IV every 4-6 hours
- 1.5-2 g/kg intravenously (IV) infused over 30-60 minutes
- Test dose: 200 mg/kg intravenously (IV) infused over 3-5 minutes
- Load: 500-1000 mg/kg IV for 1 dose
- Maintenance: 250-500 mg/kg IV every 4-6 hours
- Pediatric: Test dose: 0.2 g/kg IV over 3-5 minutes; not to exceed 12.5 g
- Discontinue if no diuresis within 2 hours
- Do NOT give simultaneously with blood
- Use 15-25% solution
- Pediatric: Treatment of intoxications: Give therapeutic dose as 5 or 10% solution intravenously (IV) as needed
Other Indications and Uses
- Brain mass
Find out what women really need.