Brand Name: Zonegran
Generic Name: Zonisamide
Drug Class: Anticonvulsants, Other
What Is Zonisamide and How Does It Work?
Zonisamide is available under the following different brand names: Zonegran.
Dosages of Zonisamide:
Dosage Forms and Strengths
- 25 mg
- 50 mg
- 100 mg
Dosage Considerations – Should be Given as Follows:
- Adult: Initial: 100 mg orally once/day
- Titrate up by 100 mg increments every 2 weeks to no more than 600 mg orally once/day (may divide every 12 hours after 1st week)
- Adolescents over 16 years: Same as in adults
Weight Loss (Off-label)
- 100 mg increments every 2 weeks to no more than 600 mg orally once/day (may divide every 12 hours after first week); use 600 mg/day in patients who have not lost at least 5% of their initial body weight
- Renal impairment: Slower titration and more frequent monitoring advised; not recommended if patient's glomerular filtration rate is less than 50 mL/min
- Hepatic impairment: Slower titration and more frequent monitoring advised
- Geriatric: Administer as in adults; initiate dosing at the lower end of the dosing range
- Children under 16 years: Not recommended
Find tips and treatments to control seizures.