Generic Name: daptomycin
- What is daptomycin?
- What are the possible side effects of daptomycin?
- What is the most important information I should know about daptomycin?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using daptomycin?
- How should I use daptomycin?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while using daptomycin?
- What other drugs will affect daptomycin?
- Where can I get more information?
What is daptomycin?
Daptomycin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of daptomycin?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- severe stomach pain, diarrhea that is watery or bloody (even if it occurs months after your last dose);
- fever, flu symptoms, mouth and throat ulcers, rapid heart rate, shallow breathing;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands or feet;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding;
- new or worsening cough, fever, trouble breathing; or
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness.
Common side effects may include:
- chest pain, trouble breathing;
- headache, dizziness;
- stomach pain, vomiting;
- abnormal liver function tests;
- rash, itching, sweating;
- trouble sleeping;
- sore throat; or
- increased blood pressure.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the most important information I should know about daptomycin?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
3 pharmacies near 20147 have coupons for cubicin (Brand Names:Cubicin for 500MG)
Est. Regular Price
with free coupon
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using daptomycin?
You should not use daptomycin if you are allergic to it.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- kidney disease; or
- a nerve or muscle disorder.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How should I use daptomycin?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Daptomycin is given as an infusion into a vein. A healthcare provider will give your first dose and may teach you how to properly use the medication by yourself.
Read and carefully follow any Instructions for Use provided with your medicine. Do not use daptomycin if you don't understand all instructions for proper use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions.
Daptomycin must be mixed with a liquid (diluent) before using it. Prepare your injection only when you are ready to give it. Do not use if the medicine has changed colors or has particles in it. Call your pharmacist for new medicine.
You may need frequent blood and urine tests.
This medicine may cause false results with certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using daptomycin.
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time, even if your symptoms quickly improve. Some infections must be treated for up to 6 weeks. Skipping doses can increase your risk of infection that is resistant to medication. Daptomycin will not treat a viral infection such as the flu or a common cold.
Store daptomycin in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. After mixing daptomycin with a diluent, store in the refrigerator and use it within 48 hours.
You may also store mixed daptomycin for up to 12 hours at room temperature.
Each vial (bottle) is for one use only. Throw it away after one use, even if there is still medicine left inside.
Use a needle and syringe only once and then place them in a puncture-proof "sharps" container. Follow state or local laws about how to dispose of this container. Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Call your doctor for instructions if you miss a dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while using daptomycin?
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or bloody, call your doctor before using anti-diarrhea medicine.
What other drugs will affect daptomycin?
Tell your doctor about all your other medicines, especially a "statin" cholesterol medicine such as:
- atorvastatin (Lipitor, Caduet);
- fluvastatin (Lescol);
- lovastatin (Mevacor, Altoprev, Advicor);
- pitavastatin (Livalo);
- pravastatin (Pravachol);
- rosuvastatin (Crestor); or
- simvastatin (Zocor, Simcor, Vytorin);
This list is not complete. Other drugs may affect daptomycin, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible drug interactions are listed here.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about daptomycin.
Copyright 1996-2021 Cerner Multum, Inc.