Slideshows Images Quizzes
font size

Developmental Screening (cont.)

I have concerns that my child could have a developmental delay. Whom can I contact in my state to get a developmental assessment for my child?

Talk to your child's doctor or nurse if you have concerns about how your child is developing. If you or your doctor think there could be a problem, you can take your child to see a developmental pediatrician or other specialist, and you can contact your local early intervention agency (for children under 3) or public school (for children 3 and older) for help. To find out who to speak to in your area, you can contact the National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities by logging on to In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has links to information for families at ( If there is a problem, it is very important to get your child help as soon as possible.

How can I help my child's development?

Proper nutrition, exercise, and rest are very important for children's health and development. Providing a safe and loving home and spending time with your child - playing, singing, reading, and even just talking - can also make a big difference in his or her development.

For other ideas of activities to do with your child, and for child safety information, go to and look in the "developmental milestones" section.

Medically reviewed by Margaret Walsh, MD; American Board of Pediatrics


U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Last update: 9/29/2009

Last Editorial Review: 9/29/2009


Parenting and Pregnancy

Get tips for baby and you.

Use Pill Finder Find it Now See Interactions

Pill Identifier on RxList

  • quick, easy,
    pill identification

Find a Local Pharmacy

  • including 24 hour, pharmacies

Interaction Checker

  • Check potential drug interactions
Search the Medical Dictionary for Health Definitions & Medical Abbreviations

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors