Diseases related to obesity: Obesity increases the risk of developing a large number of diseases.
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Stroke (cerebrovascular accident or CVA)
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction or MI)
- Heart failure (congestive heart failure)
- Cancer (certain forms such as cancer of the prostate and cancer of the colon and rectum)
- Gallstones and gall bladder disease (cholecystitis)
- Gout and gouty arthritis
- Osteoarthritis (degenerative arthritis) of the knees, hips, and the lower back
- Sleep apnea (failure to breath normally during sleep, lowering blood oxygen)
- Pickwickian syndrome (obesity, red face, underventilation, and drowsiness).