Burpees are excellent fat-burning exercises that help build strong muscles and increase your metabolism throughout the entire day. They will help you burn calories and your belly fat long after your workout is done. You will start feeling stronger, tighter with more toned belly muscles after performing burpees daily for a month.
One study has shown this type of exercise may help burn belly fat more efficiently than any other traditional long aerobic exercise session. Another study from the American College of Sports Medicine states that 10 fast-paced repetitions of burpees are just as effective as a 30-second all-out sprint.
What are the benefits of burpees?
Benefits of burpees include
How to do a basic burpee
Burpees or squat thrusts are full-body exercises. They are a combined form of different moves that take care of your arms, legs, core muscles, and cardio. The most basic burpee movement is performed as follows:
- Begin in a standing position with feet placed apart.
- Bend your knees to a squatting position and place your hands flat on the ground in front of you.
- Jump with your legs straight out behind you and leave them there so that it looks like you are in a push-up position.
- Jump so that you are in a squatting position again.
- Return to a standing position.
Burpees are total-body exercises used in strength training and aerobic exercises. Unless you are strong and in good condition, do not try it in a faster version. Basic burpees are beneficial if you have no access or time for the gym or when you are away from home. This 10-minute exercise with a minimum of 20 reps is right for daily routine.
How to intensify burpees
Burpee exercise will kick up the intensity if you add simple challenges to the basic burpee movement. Burpees can be intensified by additional push-ups, jumping, rotation, and weight lifting or by changing your body position to increase coordination, strength, and agility. Some of the variations are as follows:
- Push-up Burpees
- Star jump burpees
- Superman burpees
- Side burpees
- Mountain climber tuck jump burpees
- Dive bomber burpees
- Box burpees
What precautions should you take?
Any exercise is only effective if you perform it safely to avoid injury. Take care of the following things while performing burpees:
- Use good-quality shoes.
- Always start slowly and do only a few reps at first. Once you get used to the move, then you can do more reps easily and without pain.
- Try to work up performing 8-10 reps in a row before you stop and begin another set of reps.
- Slow down your movements to avoid twisting your wrists while performing push-ups if you experience extra stress on your wrists and shoulders.
- If you are adding weights, extra push-ups, or jumps with burpees, ensure that you have the basic components of the exercise right.
- Skip the push-up if it gets difficult for you and perform the rest of the steps.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Fitness Australia https://fitness.org.au/directory/exercise-health-organisations/5