15 Early warning signs and symptoms of pregnancy
The signs and symptoms of pregnancy differ from woman to woman. All the signs of pregnancy may not be seen in one person. Additionally, the signs may appear in different persons at different times. Below are a few common signs and symptoms that may indicate early pregnancy:
- Missed menstrual cycle: It is the most common symptom of early pregnancy. If a woman has missed her period by a week or more, there is a chance that she might be pregnant. However, this symptom can be misleading if the menstrual cycle is irregular.
- Spotting: Blood or spotting on the panty prior to the monthly date is one of the early symptoms of pregnancy. About a week after conception, the embryo pushes itself into the wall of the uterus (or womb). This causes some light bleeding or spots of blood to appear on the panty.
- Vaginal discharge: Some women experience a thick, milky discharge from the vagina in early pregnancy. It is not associated with itching and foul odor.
- Vulva changes: Chadwick’s sign is one of the early signs and symptoms of pregnancy. The vulva and vagina turn bluish in color. This happens because more blood is needed in that area to build the tissue for pregnancy.
- Nausea with or without vomiting: Morning sickness, which may strike at any time of the day or night, often begins about four weeks after a woman becomes pregnant. Some women feel nausea earlier and some never experience it. Research emphasizes that pregnancy hormones may play a role in this symptom.
- Increased urination: Some women have increased urination frequency around the sixth to eighth week due to hormonal changes.
- Fatigue or tiredness: Fatigue is a high-ranked symptom among early symptoms of pregnancy. During early pregnancy, levels of the hormone progesterone increase, which make a patient feel sleepy or tired.
- Breast and nipple changes: Tender or swollen breasts are an early sign of pregnancy. Hormonal changes might make the breasts sensitive and sore. Usually, nipples may become larger and darker as the pregnancy progresses. Women may also notice small, goose bump or pimple-like white areas on their areola, which may be an early sign of pregnancy. Some women get a tingling feeling in their nipples as one of the early symptoms of pregnancy. The surge in hormones in the body causes an increased blood supply to the breasts, which causes the tingling sensation.
- Back pain: Having backache is a common symptom and an early sign of pregnancy. It may be accompanied by cramps like those felt during the period. It is because the body is getting ready for the baby.
- Headaches: The sudden change in hormones in the body can cause these headaches early in pregnancy. Headache with tiredness and sensitivity to light and noise may be an early sign of pregnancy.
- Leg cramps: It is quite common for women to suffer from leg cramps during pregnancy, and they might notice it a lot more in the early stages. This has been linked to having less calcium in the blood because it’s being taken by the baby.
- Food habits: Loss of appetite or aversion toward favorite food is one the early signs of pregnancy. Pregnancy can really mess with eating habits. Changes in taste and a heightened sense of smell are very common and can persist throughout pregnancy. This sign is the strongest early on. Many women notice a strange, sour, slightly metallic taste in their mouth when they first become pregnant. This happens because of the pregnancy hormone progesterone.
- Food cravings: Having random food cravings is one of the most common early signs and symptoms of pregnancy. It’s caused by the body craving for what it needs. For example, some women want combinations such as fish and ice cream; this could be because of a lack of proteins and sugars.
- Stomach cramping and/or bloating: The pregnancy hormone progesterone can cause the stomach to feel full, rounded, and bloated. Few women experience abnormal feelings inside their stomach in the early stage of pregnancy that replicate the sensation of their muscles being pulled and stretched, usually referred to as abdominal twinges or bloating, which is one of the early signs of pregnancy. Constipation is also a common sign in pregnancy.
- Mood fluctuations: The flood of hormones in the body in early pregnancy can make women unusually emotional and weepy. Mood swings also are common symptom of pregnancy.
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors