Medical Editor: John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP
- abdominal pain,
- upset stomach,
- stomach pain,
- elevated liver enzymes,
- gross bleeding/perforation,
- ulcers (gastric/duodenal),
- skin itching or rash,
- blurred vision,
- ringing in your ears, and
For the relief of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, the recommended dose of Feldene is 20 mg given orally once per day. If desired, the daily dose may be divided. Feldene may interact with alcohol, antidepressants, blood thinners, lithium, methotrexate, diuretics (water pills), steroids, aspirin or other NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), or ACE inhibitors. Tell your doctor all medications and supplements you use. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment with Feldene; it may harm a fetus. Taking Feldene during the last 3 months of pregnancy may harm the fetus. Do not take Feldene during pregnancy unless your doctor has told you to. Feldene can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
Our Feldene Side Effects Drug Center provides a comprehensive view of available drug information on the potential side effects when taking this medication.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking piroxicam and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness; or
- fever, headache, neck stiffness, chills, increased sensitivity to light, purple spots on the skin, and/or seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, mild heartburn or stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation;
- bloating, gas;
- dizziness, headache, nervousness;
- skin itching or rash;
- blurred vision; or
- ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the entire detailed patient monograph for Feldene (Piroxicam)
The following adverse reactions are discussed in greater detail in other sections of the labeling:
- Cardiovascular Thrombotic Events [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- GI Bleeding, Ulceration and Perforation [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Hepatotoxicity [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Hypertension [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Heart Failure and Edema [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Renal Toxicity and Hyperkalemia [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Anaphylactic Reactions [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Serious Skin Reactions [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Hematologic Toxicity [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
Clinical Trials Experience
Because clinical trials are conducted under widely varying conditions, adverse reaction rates observed in the clinical trials of a drug cannot be directly compared to rates in the clinical trials of another drug and may not reflect the rates observed in practice.
Cardiovascular System: Edema
Skin and Appendages: Pruritus, rash
Special Senses: Tinnitus
Additional adverse experiences reported occasionally include:
Cardiovascular System: Palpitations
Digestive System: Stomatitis
Nervous System: Drowsiness
Special Senses: Blurred vision
The following adverse reactions have been identified during post approval use of FELDENE. Because these reactions are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequency or establish a causal relationship to drug exposure.
Digestive System: Dyspepsia, elevated liver enzymes, gross bleeding/perforation, heartburn, ulcers (gastric/duodenal), dry mouth, esophagitis, gastritis, glossitis, hematemesis, hepatitis, jaundice, melena, rectal bleeding, eructation, liver failure, pancreatitis
Hemic and Lymphatic System: Anemia, increased bleeding time, ecchymosis, eosinophilia, epistaxis, leukopenia, purpura, petechial rash, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis, hemolytic anemia, aplastic anemia, lymphadenopathy, pancytopenia
Hypersensitivity: Positive ANA
Nervous System: Anxiety, asthenia, confusion, depression, dream abnormalities, insomnia, malaise, nervousness, paresthesia, somnolence, tremors, akathisia, convulsions, coma, hallucinations, meningitis, mood alterations
Skin and Appendages: Alopecia, bruising, desquamation, erythema, photosensitivity, sweat, angioedema, toxic epidermal necrosis, erythema multiforme, exfoliative dermatitis, onycholysis, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, urticaria, vesiculobullous reaction
Reproductive system and breast disorders: Female fertility decreased
Read the entire FDA prescribing information for Feldene (Piroxicam)
© Feldene Patient Information is supplied by Cerner Multum, Inc. and Feldene Consumer information is supplied by First Databank, Inc., used under license and subject to their respective copyrights.