HOW DO HIV ART COMBOS WORK?
Once the virus enters the CD4 cells or T cells of the immune system, it begins to replicate or make copies of itself. During viral replication, there is a step known as reverse transcription where the RNA of the virus gets converted into DNA. Reverse transcriptase is an HIV enzyme that helps the virus convert its RNA into DNA. HIV also uses integrase enzymes for replication. The integrase enzyme binds with viral DNA to form a complex structure to enter the host cell. Integrase also mediates the integration of the viral DNA to the host DNA, thereby helping the viral DNA replicate.
Nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors prevent the virus’s reverse transcriptase from accurately replicating its RNA into DNA.
Nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors bind to the reverse transcriptase enzyme and cause it to undergo a structural change. As a result, the active site of the enzyme gets modified, thereby limiting its activity. It prevents reverse transcription and further replication of HIV.
Integrase inhibitors block integrase enzymes with metallic ions to prevent the integration of viral DNA to the host DNA. Thus, it helps to prevent the replication of HIV, which is crucial for its survival.
WHAT ARE SIDE EFFECTS OF HIV ART COMBOS?
Some of the side effects of HIV ART combos include:
- Muscle aches
- Abdominal pain
- Liver problems
- Heart problems
- Severe rash
- Gallbladder problems
- Severe skin and hypersensitivity reactions
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome (a rare, serious disorder of the skin and mucous membranes)
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible side effects, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these drugs do not cause any harm when you take them along with other medicines. Never stop taking your medication and never change your dose or frequency without consulting your doctor.
WHAT ARE NAMES OF HIV ART COMBOS?
Generic and brand names of HIV ART combos include:
- Bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir AF
- Darunavir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir af
- Doravirine/lamivudine/tenofovir DF
- Efavirenz/lamivudine/tenofovir DF
- Elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir AF
- Elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir DF
- Emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir DF
- Emtricitabine/tenofovir AF
- Emtricitabine/tenofovir DF
- Emtricitabine/tenofovir/efavirenz DF
- Lamivudine/tenofovir DF
- Rilpivirine/emtricitabine/tenofovir af
- Symfi Lo