Hormonal Methods of Birth Control (cont.)
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, is a U.S. board-certified Anatomic Pathologist with subspecialty training in the fields of Experimental and Molecular Pathology. Dr. Stöppler's educational background includes a BA with Highest Distinction from the University of Virginia and an MD from the University of North Carolina. She completed residency training in Anatomic Pathology at Georgetown University followed by subspecialty fellowship training in molecular diagnostics and experimental pathology.
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dr. Shiel received a Bachelor of Science degree with honors from the University of Notre Dame. There he was involved in research in radiation biology and received the Huisking Scholarship. After graduating from St. Louis University School of Medicine, he completed his Internal Medicine residency and Rheumatology fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology.
In this Article
- Introduction to birth control
- Types of hormonal methods of contraception
- What are advantages and disadvantages of hormonal birth control methods?
- Oral hormones: The pill
- What are the side effects of the pill?
- How is the pill taken?
- How long will it take before the pill prevents conception?
- What drugs or conditions reduce the effectiveness of the pill?
- What are the benefits of taking the pill?
- When will my I start having periods again after I quit taking the pill?
- Injection: depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA)
- Contraceptive patch: Ortho-Evra
- Contraceptive implants
- Vaginal ring: NuvaRing
- How effective are hormonal birth control methods?
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
How effective are hormonal birth control methods?
Kost K, Singh S, Vaughan B, Trussell J, Bankole A. Estimates of contraceptive failure from the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth. Contraception. 2008;77(1):10-21.
Last Editorial Review: 2/2/2015
Find out what women really need.