As per research, people say that lip tattoos hurt, but there would be only stinging-like pain for a while. However, the threshold of pain differs from person to person. Whether you get a tattoo on the inside or outside of your lips, you should know that both can be painful and uncomfortable.
- Lips cannot be considered the least painful place to get a tattoo, although the degree of pain in a lip tattoo varies based on other factors such as the threshold of pain in the person and experience of the tattoo artist.
- Individual pain endurance tends to differ. Some people may feel excruciating pain, whereas others do not feel any significant pain.
- One should note that it is a mechanized needle that is constantly sewing against the lips, so you must be prepared for the pain.
- The areas in the brain that receive messages from the touch receptors in the lips are much larger than the ones in the back or stomach.
- However, most tattoo artists give anesthetic agents to block most of the pain. People, however, may still feel a bit uncomfortable during lip tattooing.
- Research shows that inner lip tattoos are more painful than cosmetic lip tattoos.
What should I know about lip tattoos?
Lip tattoos are available in two forms: temporary and permanent. Most people prefer to go for temporary ones because they are cheaper and require lesser commitment. Here are a few things you must know before you proceed with lip tattoos:
- Tattoo art is a cosmetic decoration. The process needs to be done systematically to bring out something adorable and worth seeing. Sketching the design takes about 10 minutes, and the actual tattooing procedure takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Experienced artists take shorter time than newbie artists.
- You must ensure that the tattoo artist uses sterilized equipment before embarking on the cosmetic procedure.
- Another important thing to consider is skin allergies. Lips are sensitive, and if you have a history of allergies, then talk to the artist. They will opt for tattoo ink for sensitive skins.
- Post lip tattooing, the lips will be sore and tender for the first 48 hours, and the color will appear darker. Some people also experience flaking as the lips heal.
- Even permanent lip tattoos do not last forever. The inner lip tattoos also, after some time, return to their normal look and shape. That is why it is advised to go for the temporary ones.
- Depending on the treatment and lifestyle factors, lip tattooing can last anywhere from 1-3 years. The pigment may fade naturally and lighten over this time. Hence, a color boost procedure may be required every 6-12 months.
- The skin around your lip area is very sensitive. It is extremely thin and prone to infections. Once you get your lip tattooed, it is much more exposed to infections. Thus, the risk of infections increases; hence, extreme aftercare may be required.
- You need to abstain from kissing for around a month or so. This will make sure that your lips get enough time to heal and that you do not end up catching infections.
- Lip tattooing is suitable for most clients of all ages and lifestyles. It's for anyone over 18 years who wants a subtle lip color. It can be especially good for older ladies who lose pigment in their lips as they age.
- A healing balm will usually be provided following the procedure and may be applied 2-3 times a day until the area is healed. Lipsticks should not be applied on top of your lip blush while it’s healing because it increases the risk of infection. You also need to avoid going to the gym or sitting in the sun for a week. Avoid getting your lips wet and try not to eat any salty or spicy food.
- If you develop an inner lip tattoo infection despite following the aftercare routine, then consult your doctor immediately. The doctor will give you tips on how to reduce inner tattoo swelling and get rid of the infection.