Six ways to lighten hair naturally
There are various ingredients that are inexpensive and easily available. These can be used to help bleach or lighten the hair. You may want to experiment with different methods and ingredients because they may work differently for different hair colors and types. Hence, it may require some experimentation by using different methods to see which works best. Most natural methods need to be repeated multiple times over several months to see results. It is advised to test the natural remedies for negative reactions by applying them on a small lock of hair and skin.
- Lemons: Lemon has been used for several centuries to bleach hair. It can even work on dark hair colors. Vitamin C in lemon helps bleach or lighten hair without the use of chemicals. Two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice can be mixed with a cup of water and applied to the hair directly. The hair should then be allowed to dry out in the sun for a few hours, after which it can be washed off with shampoo and conditioner. Lemon can cause dryness of the hair; hence it is important to use a conditioner while washing the hair. It is important to apply sunscreen to the face and sun-exposed areas to avoid sun damage to the skin. Lemon vodka can be used instead of lemon juice for more dramatic results.
- Chamomile tea and lemon: Chamomile tea can help lighten the hair. Two cups of strongly brewed chamomile tea using five tea bags can be mixed with one-fourth of a cup of lemon juice and can be applied over the hair. The hair should then be allowed to dry out in the sun for a few hours, after which it can be washed off. This can also cause dryness of the hair; hence, it is important to use a conditioner while washing the hair. It is important to apply sunscreen to the face and sun-exposed areas to avoid sun damage to the skin.
- Apple cider vinegar, chamomile tea, and lemon: Combining one-fourth of a cup of strongly brewed chamomile tea with one-fourth of a cup of apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of lemon can help lighten the hair. This may be left on all day, and sun exposure further helps the lightening process. Hair may be rinsed with shampoo and conditioner. Apple cider vinegar also helps to balance the pH of hair for all hair textures.
- Raw honey and cinnamon: Raw honey contains several active ingredients that processed honey does not contain, so it is preferred to lighten the hair. Cinnamon also contains natural bleaching agents. A combination of one-fourth of a cup of raw honey, half a cup of distilled water, one tablespoon cinnamon, and one tablespoon olive oil can be applied to the hair. Cinnamon alone can lighten hair as well. This mask can be left on the hair for a few hours to overnight. It may be washed off with shampoo and conditioner.
- Raw honey and vinegar: Plain vinegar and raw honey can lighten the hair. It is believed that results may be seen after using these ingredients even once. You can even apply this solution at night and sleep your way to natural highlights. Two cups of white vinegar, a cup of raw honey, a tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, and a tablespoon cinnamon powder can be mixed and applied to damp hair and wrapped with a plastic wrap or a shower cap. This can be left on for 10 minutes up to overnight before rinsing.
- Henna: The henna powder comes from a plant and has been used for thousands of years to stain leathers or adorn skin with beautiful designs (temporary tattoos), especially in South Asia and the Middle East. It can be used to dye the hair naturally and works when used even once. Light hair and grey hair turn reddish and dark brown and black hair turn natural brown color. A paste can be made with three tablespoons of henna powder and half a cup of boiling water. Before applying this to the hair, let the mixture steep for several hours or overnight to get better results. The mixture can be left on the hair for 3-4 hours and washed off. The results can last a few months. Henna can stain clothing and scalp (but fades from the skin in a few days). Contrary to popular opinion, henna can cause hair to get dry and brittle, hence must be used with caution.