Home remedies for clear skin
We all wish for beautiful skin and make efforts to groom ourselves regularly. Unfortunately, pollution, a diet rich in processed sugars, sun damage, and stress are often our constant companions and can cause acne and skin dullness. Eating healthily, having plenty of water, quitting smoking, and practicing stress-relieving techniques can help us in achieving glowing skin. However, this is a long-term process. Other than concealing the blemishes with make-up, there is no magic wand that can give you clear skin overnight.
You can try the following tips to improve your skin tone gradually.
- Applying ice cubes on the face is a wonderful idea to refresh your skin and make it look clear. It clears grime from your face, shrinks the oil glands, and plumps up your face.
- You may try to face products containing alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) and beta hydroxy acids (BHAs). These are available as serums for face washes containing salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and/or lactic acid. They cause the outer layer of skin to gently shed off exposing a clearer skin underneath.
- Vitamin C containing face serums and face peels also work well on dull skin. Always do a patch test to check for your skin sensitivity before applying new products.
- Aloe vera gel, green tea extract, turmeric, yogurt have properties to simulate skin healing; these can be applied overnight for maximum effect.
- Washing your face before going to bed is especially important. It opens the pores, cleans bacteria, and removes makeup residues over the skin (which may cause clogged pores). Use a gentle face wash that suits your skin type.
- Applying moisturizer is one of the ways to make the skin supple. Even oily skin needs moisturizing.
- Sunscreen is your best defense against sun damage and age spots. Use sunscreen with sun protection factor or SPF 30 and above. Reapply the sunscreen as directed.
- Make the best use of your kitchen ingredients by making a face mask with oatmeal. Combine lukewarm water with oatmeal, yogurt, honey, and egg white and make a smooth paste. Apply a thin layer of the paste onto your skin and rinse it off after 15 minutes.
- Tea tree oil is considered one of the best oils to tone oily skin. To keep your skin hydrated, you can also apply tea tree oil on your acne before you go to sleep. Hemp seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, and jojoba oil keep the skin hydrated.
- Sleeping 8 hours at night is very much essential to have healthy-looking skin. Insomnia may really hamper the glow and healthiness of your skin. Using a humidifier in your bedroom would help you in getting good sleep.
- Mostly pimples and acne are the results of hormonal upheaval or poor face products. Always use good quality skin products. Seek timely treatment for acne.
- A steam facial is the best way to get a rejuvenating and revitalizing feel. Hold your head and face, covered with a towel, over a bowl of hot water. The steam will deeply open all the clogged pores and cleanse the skin to the innermost layer. For best results, follow the same procedure with a face mask.
- If these remedies do not help, you can visit your dermatologist for more invasive treatments like laser, dermabrasion, chemical peels for scar management, and pigmentation lightening over the skin.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
American Academy of Dermatology. Basic Skin Care. https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/skin-care-basics/care