How to get healthy hair
Hair has always been a significant aspect of beauty standards. Luscious and shiny locks have been considered ideal beauty for ages. Have you always dreamed of having that bouncy and voluminous hair seen in the advertisements? If so, this dream can turn into reality by following a proper hair care routine. Besides consuming a diet rich in essential vitamins and minerals, some natural hair care products may help to achieve those ideal, healthy hair. Some of the natural hair care ingredients that may help to add luster and shine to you include:
- Diet: You are what you eat. Expensive potions and oils are worthless if your diet is poor. Avoid processed sugars, refined carbs, and excess tea or coffee that messes with your metabolism. Have a diet rich in proteins (eggs, fatty fish, lean meats), iron (leafy vegetables), vitamins (fruits), and minerals (nuts). Avoid smoking and alcohol. A nutrient-rich diet will automatically result in a healthy mane.
- Avocado: For smooth and shiny hair, use an avocado conditioner. To make an avocado conditioner:
- Mix a small jar of mayonnaise and avocado pulp until it turns light green or minty color
- Apply the mixture to your hair till all strands of hair are covered
- Cover the head with a plastic wrap and leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly. You can opt for a mild shampoo to wash your hair afterward if you have oily hair.
- Avocado is rich in Vitamin A, B1, B2, D, and E as well as beta-carotene, which is good for dry skin and hair. Massaging with avocado oil may also help to provide luster to the hair.
- Olive oil conditioner: Olive oil has great benefits when applied to hair directly or when mixed with other ingredients. Mix two to three drops of extra virgin olive oil with your regular conditioner and apply it onto the lower bottom of the hair focusing more on the ends. Gather your hair together so that it sits at the top of your head and cover with a warm wet towel. Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse it thoroughly.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinses: ACV has become a hot favorite of every household due to its benefits. Mix half a cup of ACV with one-quarter cup of water to make a vinegar rinse. Pour this mixture through the hair and re-rinse with cool water.
- Honey: Honey acts as a natural moisturizer. It also has antiseptic and antioxidative properties. Additionally, honey is loaded with vitamins and minerals that promote hair growth. Honey can be added to rinses, conditioners, and masks.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has been the most common moisturizer used for skin and hair. It eradicates the risk of a flaky scalp in harsh and dry weather. Apply fresh aloe vera gel onto the hair or use products that contain aloe vera as an ingredient.
Some of the hair care routines that would improve the strength and luster of the hair include:
- Shampooing two to three times a week: Avoid shampooing daily with shampoo as it would rip off the essential oils from the hair. Use lukewarm water instead of hot water to wash your hair. As far as shampoo is concerned, use a mild shampoo that contains herbs and natural oils. Avoid shampoos that contain:
- Using conditioner: Condition your hair after each wash to lock in the moisture. If you want to rinse the hair, use cold water to lock-in its hydrating benefits. Even a leave-in moisturizer after a hair wash is a good option.
- Massaging with oil: Apply oil on your hair and massage it with your fingertips for deep penetration.
- Trimming your ends: It is necessary to trim or cut your hair regularly. Split ends prevent hair growth and so, it is essential to get hair trimmed.
- Avoid using excessive styling products: Avoid using several styling products or styling tools that may dry or damage the hair. Use styling products or tools sparingly.
- Combing gently: Comb your hair softly and treat it gently to avoid excessive breakage.
- Calm down: Excess stress and anxiety can lead to dry, brittle hair, and hair loss. Hence, it is necessary to de-stress and relax.