Any seasonal change invites viral infections. Children, old people, and those with diabetes are particularly vulnerable to various kinds of viral illnesses. Viral infection may last for only 1-2 weeks. However, the symptoms may interrupt your daily routine making you want to get rid of the virus immediately. Antibiotics do not work on viruses, hence prevention is the best cure for these.
Below are some natural remedies that may help to partially disable the virus, if not completely.
- Rest: When it comes to viral flu, nothing works like rest. So, give your work and travel rest and sleep. Sleep helps your body fight the virus and get better.
- Hydration: Load up on fluids. Fever caused by a virus gives you dehydration. Load up on water, soups, and warm broths. Adding ginger, pepper, and garlic to your soups will help your body fight the viruses. The allicin present in garlic has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. Studies have shown that eating raw garlic every day can boost immunity against the virus. You can add it to salsa or mince it and add some olive oil or honey.
- Green tea: Catechins present in green tea have been shown to inhibit the enzymatic action of the virus to reproduce further. Green tea has also been shown to boost immunity against various diseases. Hence, consuming green tea daily may help to reduce the viral load.
- Basil: The extracts of basil is effective against various types of viruses. The constituents of basil have been shown to block the infection and replication of various viruses. You can add basil leaves to your salad or consume them directly.
- Turmeric: Studies have shown that the curcumin present in turmeric is effective against the Hepatitis C virus. They inhibit the replication of the Hepatitis C virus. Some turmeric boiled with milk can help in fighting colds as well.
- Elderberry: The common elderberry has been used to reduce the severity and length of flu symptoms. Elderberry acts against the virus by binding to them and deactivating the virus. Adults can take 60 ml of elderberry syrup daily whereas children should take 30 ml of elderberry syrup daily.
Do not completely rely on the above natural treatments for eliminating the virus. You should inform the physician before attempting any natural remedies.
Some of the other methods that may aid in eliminating the viruses include:
- Increasing the intake of Vitamin C rich foods, such as oranges, strawberries, kiwis, melon, mangoes, tomatoes, bell pepper, papaya, red cabbage, and spinach, may help to increase the immunity against viruses but may not completely cure it. Overconsumption of Vitamin C should be avoided because it may lead to upset stomach or kidney stones.
- Making sure to eat a healthy and well-balanced diet even when the appetite goes down.
What is the standard therapy for treating viruses?
If the above remedies don’t work or if you have severe symptoms, then definitely contact a physician. The physician would recommend antiviral therapy to get rid of viruses. The treatment depends on the type of viruses and their severity. Antiviral drugs, if given within 2 days after the onset of the symptoms, will prevent the infection and replication of viruses. Some of the common antiviral drugs include:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Preventive Steps. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/prevention.htm