Causes of damaged hair
A bad-hair day is one of the worst nightmares for many. The ever-growing hair care industry is undeniable proof of the concerns for getting healthy and beautiful hair. Thinning and dull hair is a concern for everyone. With modernization, our lives have become busier and more dependent on readymade and chemical-laden products. This, along with the growing stress and pollution, has taken a toll on our overall health including the health of the hair. We all lose some hair every day, which may vary from person to person. But when the hair fall is excessive it can result in thinning of the hair, which is a worrisome situation.
- Hereditary causes
- Hormonal changes (for example in pregnancy, PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome, and hypothyroidism)
- Nutritional deficiencies (such as iron deficiency or anemia, lack of adequate proteins in the diet, and vitamin deficiencies)
- Certain medications (such as medicines for high blood pressure or high cholesterol)
- Inflammatory diseases affecting the scalp (such as eczema and psoriasis)
- Tying the hair too tightly
- Harsh hair products and frequent heat styling of the hair
11 Home remedies for hair growth
Because of the varying health conditions that may cause hair fall, you must consult your doctor to manage your hair fall better and treat the underlying health issues. You may also try some of these tips to make your hair grow faster and thicker at home:
- Vitamins and mineral supplements: A busy life may not allow you to get all the nutrients you need for healthy hair in adequate amounts. You may take over the counter multivitamins or ask your doctor to suggest you appropriate multivitamins and other supplements for healthy hair. Micronutrients like biotin, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E can make your hair grow faster and thicker. You may also take omega-3 fatty acid supplements, such as fish oil capsules to stimulate hair growth.
- Use oils to massage your scalp: You can use oils like olive oil or coconut oils mixed with a few drops of essential oil, such as tea tree oil and peppermint oil to stimulate your hair follicles. Massage your hair gently for a few minutes and wash your hair after 30 minutes to an hour.
- Regularly use hair conditioners: Hair conditioners add moisture to your hair and prevents hair tangling.
- Avoid tight hairstyles: Tying your hair too tightly, such as in a bun, can make them prone to break and fall.
- Egg and yogurt hair mask: You can make a hair mask by mixing egg white, yogurt, and honey in a bowl. Whisk them well to a creamy texture and apply on wet hair. Wash your hair after 30 minutes to 1 hour. This will make your hair smooth, voluminous, and lustrous.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water to nourish your body and your hair from within. Drinking coconut water can also help stimulate hair growth.
- Manage stress: Stress is one of the commonest causes of hair fall. Pursue stress-relieving hobbies, such as music, yoga, games, and meditation to manage the stress.
- Eat a wholesome diet: Your hair needs adequate nourishment to grow. Thus, it is important to treat the cause of hair fall from within by taking a healthy diet rich in proteins, minerals, and vitamins. Following certain fad diets may lead to nutrient deficiencies leading to excessive hair loss. Some of the food items that you can include in your diet to get healthy hair include eggs, fish, berries, nuts, spinach and other leafy greens, jaggery, and fruits like avocados and oranges. Make sure you eat enough protein in the diet. Avoid processed foods and smoking.
- Avoid using heat for styling your hair: Using heat during blow-drying or hair styling can strip away the natural oils and moisture from your hair making them brittle and vulnerable to hair fall.
- Avoid washing your hair too often: A healthy and clean scalp is essential for healthy hair. Washing your hair too often, however, can make them dry and brittle. Restrict your hair wash days to 2-3 days a week.
- Avoid using harsh products on your hair: You may want to get a new look with new hair color or a new hairstyle. Always ask an expert to suggest to you the least damaging hair color and the aftercare needed after coloring or styling your hair.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Jackson C. How to Grow Hair Faster: 10 Proven Ways for Healthier and Stronger Hair. Lifehack. https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-tips-make-hair-grow-faster.html