How can I make my nails grow faster using home remedies?
Your nails can tell a lot about your overall health. Your doctor can diagnose several health conditions, such as anemia, lung diseases, liver diseases, psoriasis, heart failure, and kidney diseases by examining your nails. Your nails are made up of a protein called keratin that is also found in your hair and the outer layer of the skin. The nails are not mere external appendages, their growth starts deeper from a structure known as the nail root, which is present under the skin. The nail root derives its nourishment through the blood vessels present underneath. Hence, apart from external care, proper nutrition is essential for the adequate health and growth of the nails.
Your nails grow slowly at the rate of around 2.5 mm a month. There are no scientifically proven methods to cause faster nail growth. Several remedies, however, exist to enhance the health of your nails. If you feel your nails have become too brittle or have changed in some way, you must consult your doctor so that any possible underlying conditions may be ruled out. Always consult your doctor before trying any home remedies to enhance the growth of your nails. Some of the tips and home remedies that may help enhance the health of your nails and possibly help you keep them long include:
- Keep your nails moisturized: Like your skin, your nails need moisturization too. Frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitizer are more important these days than it ever was. However, this may make your nails dry and vulnerable to breakage. You can moisturize your hands and nails after washing or sanitizing your hands. Lanolin containing nail conditioners may also be applied a few times a day. Avoid using alcohol-based nail conditioners because they can further make the nails dry.
- Biotin supplements: You can take over the counter (OTC) biotin supplements to enhance the growth of your hair and nails. Biotin is also present in food items, such as whole grains, cooked eggs (raw eggs contain a biotin inhibitor), bananas, mushrooms, cauliflower, and beans.
- Maintain nail hygiene: Keep your nails clean and dry. The under-surface of the nails should also be cleaned, especially if you have long nails. This will prevent bacterial and fungal infections in your nails that can also be transmitted to your mouth while eating or touching your face. Trim your nails carefully using clippers or manicure scissors and make the tips round in a gentle curve.
- Nail hardeners: Applying a good quality nail hardener can provide extra support to your nails and prevent breakage.
- Include adequate protein in your diet: Your nails are made of protein and they need enough protein to help them grow. Ask your doctor about the protein you need as per your weight, physical activities, and age. You can include soy, cheese, chicken, eggs, meat, pulses, and beans in your diet to increase protein intake.
- Gelatin supplements: There are various gelatin supplements available in the market that claim to boost hair and nail growth. There is, however, no scientific evidence that gelatin supplements can increase the growth of nails.
- Choose your nail products wisely: Glues and harsh nail paints can harm your nails and make them brittle. The glue used while placing an artificial nail may cause nail peeling.
- Garlic oil: Some people claim that rubbing a piece of garlic or garlic oil can boost nail growth. There is no scientific evidence behind this practice.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer and can help keep nails shiny, strong, and healthy. You can massage some warm coconut oil on your nails every day.
Although these home remedies may be tried, do not hesitate from seeking a doctor’s help if:
- Your nails continue to stay brittle
- There is grooving or separation of the nails
- The skin folds around the nails are painful or appear swollen or red
- The nails appear yellow, pale, or unusual in color
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
American Academy of Dermatology. Tips for Healthy Nails. https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/nail-care-secrets/basics/healthy-nail-tips