3 Stages of hair growth
Regardless of gender, everyone wants great hair. As it is rightly said, life is short, so why not live it with healthy hair! It is normal to lose some amount of hair every day, and this normal may vary from person to person. The problem arises when you lose more hair than you normally did or when the hair starts appearing thin. Understanding the normal hair growth cycle will help you understand the science behind losing hair. Hair has its natural growth cycle occurs in three stages that include:
- Anagen stage: This is the stage of active hair growth. It may last for around 2-8 years.
- Catagen stage: This stage involves the resting stage of the hair when it is preparing to shed. It may last for around 3 weeks.
- Telogen stage: The hair is held inside the scalp by a structure called the follicle. During the telogen stage, the hair gets expelled from the hair follicle. After the hair is shed, the hair follicle stays dormant for around 3 months. New hair will grow after this stage is over.
Causes of excessive hair loss
Excessive loss of hair can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as:
- Hormonal changes (during pregnancy, PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome, and hypothyroidism)
- Nutritional deficiencies (iron deficiency anemia and vitamin deficiencies)
- Certain medications (medicines for high blood pressure or high cholesterol)
- Inflammatory diseases affecting the scalp (eczema, boils, and psoriasis)
- Genetic causes
- Tying the hair too tightly
- Harsh hair products and frequent heat styling of the hair
11 Home Remedies to strengthen your hair
Addressing the underlying cause of hair fall is essential for proper management of the condition. You can take your dermatologist’s help for the same. Some of the ways you can try at home to strengthen your hair include:
- Have a healthy diet: Your hair needs adequate nourishment to grow. Thus, it is important to treat the cause of hair fall from within by taking a healthy diet rich in proteins, minerals, and vitamins. Following certain fad diets may lead to nutrient deficiencies leading to excessive hair loss. Some of the food items that you can include in your diet to get healthy hair include eggs, fish, berries, nuts, spinach and other leafy greens, jaggery, and fruits like avocados and oranges.
- Avoid applying too much heat to your hair: Applying heat to your hair during blow-drying or hair styling can strip away the natural oils and moisture from your hair, making them brittle and vulnerable to hair fall.
- Avoid washing your hair too often: A healthy and clean scalp is essential for healthy hair. Washing your hair too often, however, can make them dry and brittle. Restrict your hair wash days to 2-3 days a week.
- Avoid using harsh products for your hair: You may want to get a new look with new hair color or a new hairstyle. Always ask an expert to suggest to you the least damaging hair color and the aftercare needed after coloring or styling your hair.
- Practice stress-relieving rituals: Meditation, yoga, and music can make you calm and help control stress that may be causing your hair to fall.
- Multivitamins: A busy life may not allow you to get all the nutrients you need for healthy hair in adequate amounts. You may take over the counter multivitamins, or ask your doctor to suggest you appropriate multivitamins and other supplements for healthy hair. You may also take omega-3 fatty acid supplements, such as fish oil capsules to stimulate hair growth.
- Use oils to massage your scalp: You can use oils, such as olive oil or coconut oils, mixed with a few drops of essential oil like tea tree oil and peppermint oil to stimulate your hair follicles. Massage your hair gently for a few minutes and wash your hair after 30 minutes to an hour.
- Use hair conditioners: Hair conditioners add moisture to your hair and prevents hair tangling. Both live-in and wash off kind conditioners are equally effective.
- Avoid tight hairstyles: Tying your hair too tightly, such as in a bun, can make them prone to break and fall.
- Homemade hair mask: You can make a hair mask by mixing egg white, yogurt, and honey in a bowl and apply on wet hair. Wash your hair after 30 minutes to 1 hour. This will make your hair smooth, voluminous, and lustrous.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water to nourish your body and your hair from within.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Jackson C. How to Grow Hair Faster: 10 Proven Ways for Healthier and Stronger Hair. Lifehack. https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-tips-make-hair-grow-faster.html