HOW DO ANTIHISTAMINE/DECONGESTANT/ANALGESIC COMBOS WORK?
Antihistamines block the release of a chemical called histamine. Histamine is responsible for the itching and swelling of tissues in the nose. Thus, antihistamines help relieve runny noses and sneezing during cold.
Decongestants work in the following ways:
- Relieve irritation of upper respiratory tract infection
- Reduce swelling of the inner lining of the nose
- Relieve nasal congestion
- Reduce increased blood flow to the tissues
Analgesics block pain signal generation and generation of prostaglandin from the central nervous system released during fever, inflammation, or pain. Thus, by blocking the generation of prostaglandins, analgesics help reduce pain, inflammation, or fever.
WHAT ARE SIDE EFFECTS OF ANTIHISTAMINE/DECONGESTANT/ANALGESIC COMBOS?
Antihistamine/decongestant/analgesic combos can cause the following side effects:
- Low blood pressure
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Irregular heart rate
- Skin rash
- Weight loss
- Low platelet count
- Blurred vision
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible side effects, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these drugs do not cause any harm when you take them along with other medicines. Never stop taking your medication and never change your dose or frequency without consulting your doctor.
WHAT ARE DRUG NAMES OF ANTIHISTAMINE/DECONGESTANT/ANALGESIC COMBOS?
Generic and brand names of antihistamine/decongestant/analgesic combos include:
- Advil allergy sinus
- Alka-seltzer plus cold
- Alka-seltzer plus severe allergy sinus congestion & headache
- Benadryl allergy & cold
- Benadryl allergy & sinus headache
- Benadryl severe allergy & sinus headache
- Children's Delsym cough + cold night time
- Children's Tylenol plus cold
- Children's Tylenol plus cold & allergy
- Delsym cough + cold nighttime
- Dristan cold
- Qlearquil nighttime sinus & congestion relief
- Robitussin peak cold nighttime multi-symptom cold
- Robitussin peak cold nighttime nasal relief
- Sudafed PE severe cold
- Theraflu nighttime severe cold & cough
- Theraflu warming relief flu & sore throat
- Theraflu warming relief nighttime severe cold & cough
- Tylenol allergy multi-symptom
- Tylenol allergy multi-symptom nighttime
- Tylenol sinus congestion & pain nighttime
- Vicks NyQuil sinus