HOW DO COAGULATION FACTORS WORK?
Coagulation factor concentrates are drugs used to manage bleeding in hemophilia.
Hemophilia is a medical condition characterized by a severe decrease in blood clotting that leads to extreme blood loss with a slight injury. It is usually caused by an inherited lack of a coagulation factor, most often factor VIII. Coagulation factors occurring in the human body are proteins in the blood that help control bleeding. Many coagulation factors in the body work together to form a clot. The clots prevent excess blood loss from the body.
Hemophilia treatment involves replacing the missing blood clotting factor so that the blood can clot effectively. Coagulation factor concentrates replace the blood clotting factor and facilitate blood clotting to prevent severe blood loss.
HOW ARE COAGULATION FACTORS USED?
Coagulation factors are used to treat severe blood loss associated with:
- Acquired hemophilia (hemophilia acquired during a person's life)
- Congenital hemophilia (hemophilia present from birth)
- von Willebrand disease
WHAT ARE SIDE EFFECTS OF COAGULATION FACTORS?
Coagulation factors, when injected, can cause the following side effects:
- Taste disorder
- Dyspnea (shortness of breath)
- Swelling or redness at the injection site
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Joint pain
- Formation of clots in the arteries and veins
- Allergic reactions
The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible side effects, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these drugs do not cause any harm when you take them along with other medicines. Never stop taking your medication and never change your dose or frequency without consulting your doctor.
WHAT ARE NAMES OF COAGULATION FACTORS?
Generic and brand names of coagulation factors include:
- AlphaNine SD
- Anti-inhibitor coagulant complex
- Antihemophilic Factor (Human)
- Antihemophilic factor recombinant
- Antihemophilic factor/von Willebrand factor complex
- Bebulin VH
- Factor IX
- Factor IX complex
- Factor IX, recombinant
- Factor IX, recombinant/albumin fusion protein
- factor VIIa recombinant-jncw
- Factor VIIa, recombinant
- Factor VIII (Recombinant)
- Factor VIII, human plasma derived
- Factor X, human
- Factor XIII A-subunit, recombinant
- Factor XIII concentrate, human
- Feiba NF
- Feiba VH Immuno
- Helixate FS
- Hemofil M
- Humate P
- Koate DVI
- Kogenate FS
- Nonacog beta pegol
- NovoSeven RT
- Profilnine SD
- Turoctocog alfa
- Von Willebrand factor, recombinant
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors