HOW DO NITRATES WORK?
Nitrates are vasodilators (dilate the blood vessels) that are used to treat angina (chest pain caused by lack of oxygen to the heart muscle) and ease the symptoms of congestive heart failure (a chronic progressive condition that affects the pumping power of your heart muscle).
Nitrates dilate (widen) the blood vessels (arteries and veins in the body), improve blood flow, and allow more oxygen-rich blood to reach the heart muscle. Dilation of the veins lowers the amount of blood that returns to the heart that must be pumped, while dilation of the arteries reduces the pressure in the arteries against which the heart must pump. As a result of these effects, the heart works less and requires less blood and oxygen.
Nitrates are available in different forms:
HOW ARE NITRATES USED?
Nitrates are used to treat:
- Congestive heart failure
- Stroke (damage to brain tissue caused by obstruction to the blood flow)
WHAT ARE SIDE EFFECTS OF NITRATES?
Side effects of nitrates angina may include:
- Stomach discomfort
- Skin rash
- Dry mouth
- Blurring of vision
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible side effects, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these drugs do not cause any harm when you take them along with other medicines. Never stop taking your medication and never change your dose or frequency without consulting your doctor.
WHAT ARE NAMES OF NITRATES?
Generic and brand names of nitrates angina drugs include:
- Amyl nitrite
- Glyceryl trinitrate IV
- Glyceryl trinitrate PO
- Glyceryl trinitrate sublingual
- Glyceryl trinitrate topical
- Glyceryl trinitrate transdermal
- Glyceryl trinitrate translingual spray
- Glyceryl trinitrate transmucosal
- Isosorbide dinitrate (Dilatrate-SR, Isordil, Isordil Titradose)
- Isosorbide dinitrate/hydralazine (BiDil)
- Isosorbide mononitrate (Imdur, ISMO, Monoket)
- Nitroglycerin IV (IV Nitroglycerin, NitroBid IV, NTG, Tridil)
- Nitroglycerin PO (Nitrocine, NitroDur)
- Nitroglycerin sublingual (GoNitro, NitroQuick, Nitrostat, Sublingual Nitroglycerin)
- Nitroglycerin topical (NitroBid Topical, Topical Nitroglycerin)
- Nitroglycerin transdermal (Deponit, Minitran, Nitro Bid, Nitrol, Transdermal Nitroglycerin)
- Nitroglycerin translingual (Nitrolingual, Nitrolingual Pumpspray, NitroMist)
- Nitroglycerin transmucosal (Transmucosal Nitroglycerin)
- Pentaerythritol tetranitrate (Duotrate, Pentylan, Peritrate)