How do other urologic drugs work?
Other urologic drugs are medications that are not categorized into any of the specific classes of urologic drugs. Each of the other urologic drugs works in unique ways and they are used to treat several genitourinary conditions and to measure kidney function.
The medications that are grouped under other urologic drugs include:
- Vaginal acetic acid: Vaginal acetic acid is a weak acidic solution used to restore and maintain natural pH in the vagina and to prevent bacterial and fungal overgrowth.
- Aminohippurate sodium: Aminohippurate sodium is sodium salt of aminohippurate acid and is used as a diagnostic tool to assess kidney function. Kidney function and renal blood flow are determined by measuring the amount of drugs eliminated in the urine.
- Collagenase clostridium histolyticum: Collagenase clostridium histolyticum is a medication used to treat Dupuytren’s and Peyronie’s diseases, which are caused by tissue hardening from the buildup of collagen, a structural protein in connective tissue. Collagenase clostridium histolyticum is an enzyme that breaks up collagen.
- Dimethyl sulfoxide: Dimethyl sulfoxide is used to relieve bladder pain and other urinary symptoms of interstitial cystitis, an inflammatory bladder condition. Dimethyl sulfoxide has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, muscle relaxant, and analgesic properties, and inhibits activation of mast cells, a type of immune cells that initiate inflammation.
- Dutasteride/tamsulosin: Dutasteride/tamsulosin is a combination of two medications used to treat prostate enlargement and associated urinary symptoms. Dutasteride helps shrink and slow down prostate tissue growth while tamsulosin relaxes the prostate and bladder neck smooth muscles, improving urine flow.
What are the uses of other urologic drugs?
Other urologic drugs may be administered as:
- Oral capsules
- Vaginal gel
- The intravesicular solution, instilled into the bladder
- Subcutaneous (SC) injections into the tissue of the treatment area
The FDA-approved uses of other urologic drugs include the following:
Vaginal acetic acid
- Restoration and maintenance of vaginal acidity
- Measurement of renal function
Collagenase clostridium histolyticum
- Dupuytren’s contracture, a painless deformity in the hand due to hardening of tissue under the skin
- Peyronie’s disease, a condition in which scar tissue causes the penis to have curved, painful erections.
- Cellulite, fat deposits under the skin
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement)
What are side effects of other urologic drugs?
Side effects of other urologic drugs vary with each type of drug. A few of the most common side effects include:
- Vaginal acetic acid:
- Local stinging and burning
- Aminohippurate sodium:
- Collagenase clostridium histolyticum:
- Dimethyl sulfoxide:
Information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible side effects, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these drugs do not cause any harm when you take them along with other medicines. Never stop taking your medication and never change your dose or frequency without consulting your doctor.
What are names of some of the other urologic drugs?
Generic and brand names of some of the other urologic drugs include: