WHAT ARE TOPICAL ANTISEBORRHEIC AGENTS AND HOW DO THEY WORK?
Topical antiseborrheic agents are a class of drugs used to treat seborrheic dermatitis, acne, and dandruff. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common chronic inflammatory skin condition, characterized by scaly red, dry, flaky, and itchy skin on the scalp and other parts of the body. It occurs most often in infants younger than 3 months old and in adults aged between 30 to 60 years.
Topical antiseborrheic agents work in the following ways:
- They stop the growth of the bacteria on the skin that can lead to acne or worsen the already existing skin conditions.
- They also help remove the dead skin cells and unclog pores.
- They stop the overgrowth of “Malassezia” yeast which is present on the skin, but can overgrow in some people and cause seborrheic dermatitis.
- Topical antiseborrheic agents are available in the form of creams, foams, cleansers, and shampoos.
HOW ARE TOPICAL ANTISEBORRHEIC AGENTS USED?
Skin conditions treated with topical antiseborrheic agents include the following:
WHAT ARE SIDE EFFECTS OF TOPICAL ANTISEBORRHEIC AGENTS?
Common side effects include:
- Skin irritation
- Slight burning sensation
- Pruritis (itching)
- Other rare side effects include:
- Pale skin, easy bruising
- Trouble breathing
- Severe dizziness
- Allergic reaction
Information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible side effects, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure these drugs do not cause any harm when you take them along with other medicines. Never stop taking your medication and never change your dose or frequency without consulting your doctor.
WHAT ARE DRUG NAMES OF TOPICAL ANTISEBORRHEIC AGENTS?
Drug names include:
- Avar LS
- Avar-E LS
- Cerisa Wash
- Clarifoam EF
- Claris Clarifying Wash
- Clenia Emollient Cream
- Clenia Foaming Wash
- MG217 Medicated Tar-Free Shampoo
- Prascion Cleanser
- Prascion FC Facial Cleansing Cloths
- Prascion RA with Sunscreens
- Rosaderm Cleanser
- Rosanil Cleanser
- Rosula Wash
- Salicylic acid/sulfur shampoo
- Sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur
- Sulfacet R
- Sumadan Wash
- Sumaxan Cleansing Pads
- Sumaxin TS
- Sumaxin Wash
- Zencia Wash