Sardines taste best when they are freshly caught from the wild. Following are some of the best ways to eat them:
- Grilled sardines sprinkled with lemon juice and olive oil
- Grilled sardines on whole-grain crackers
- Grilled sardines with chopped tomatoes and basil
- Grilled sardines with chopped tomatoes and oregano
- Grilled sardines with tomato sauce
- Grilled sardines with mustard sauce
- Sardine curry
- Grilled sardines
- Sardine sandwich
The way you eat fish is also important to get the maximum health benefits. Look for options like grilling or broiling fish instead of deep-frying.
How to identify and select fresh sardines?
If you want to buy fresh sardine fish, there are certain things that you should check. They are:
- Smell: Fresh sardine fish will smell like the sea. A rotten fish will give a pungent odor.
- Eyes: For sardine fish to be fresh, it should have bulging, clear, and shiny eyes. Eyes that are cloudy or sunken into the head means the fish is stale.
- Gills: The gills must be wet and bright pink or reddish. They should not be slimy or dry.
- Skin: The skin should be intact, smooth, and shiny. Flaky skin is a sign of stale fish.
What are the health benefits of sardines?
Sardines provide a variety of health benefits.
How are omega-3 fatty acids healthy for your heart?
- Decrease cholesterol levels.
- Lower the blood pressure.
- Prevent blood clotting.
- Reduce arrhythmia (irregular heartbeats).
How much fish should you eat?
Adults should eat at least 8 ounces or two servings of omega-3-rich fish a week.
Pregnant or nursing women should eat up to 12 ounces of sardine per week.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Cleveland Clinic. 3 Healthiest (and Worst) Fish for Your Health. May 18, 2020. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/3-fish-you-should-love-and-3-fish-you-should-snub/